Menuki attribution and thoughts welcome

Chishiki

14 hours ago, Curran said:

I like your menuki and think TH to Umetada is a good attribution. Best would have been TH to Ezo, but I think TH to Umetada is a close second. To me, it beats a TH to Ezo (Edo) type attribution. The backs are nice, and I too think them somewhere in the early 1600s workmanship.

Thanks Curran.   Whilst the Kicho paper said shakudo I thought there was a chance of being shibuichi which would have been the game changer..  Just another wishful thinker 😀.   I was optimistic for TH though and would have gone into melt down if they didn't get it.  Whilst I am not much of a fittings collector I feel a frustration with attributions and as you say it seems they are not brave to elaborate.   As you say, a time frame in brackets would be nice.   This probably why Tanobe has a steady line of people waiting for his Sayagaki.  They won't more info.   Having said all that I just bought a pair of daisho tsuba papered to Higo and I am happy enough with that as they are an oddity.   As always thanks for your input.   Mark

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi All.

More info on these menuki.   I had these menuki tested with a metal analysing machine XRF.  A photo with results attached.   They are in fact shibuichi, not shakudo as stated by the NBTHK.   Where does this leave their attribution?   Maybe it doesn't  change the attribution,  it seems they aslo worked on shibichi plate.  Mark

received_737124581190843.jpeg

• Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..