Katana by KAKU HIDEKUNI in Type 94 High Grade Shin-gunto Koshirae

tbonesullivan

I posted a bit about this over in the military swords forum, because it had a Brass Mekugi. Apparently, those were used. The pin was removed, and it's definitely an interesting maker: HIDEKUNI, active at the turn of the 18th - 19th centuries.

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/HID60

The blade is 27.5" / 70cm long, and has a fairly LONG Kissaki, probably the longest I have seen. The blade is also fairly wide compared to most, and there is barely any change to the taper of the edge at the Yokote. It's got some WARE and FUKURE, so it definitely looks to be correct. I've just never seen a kissaki as long as this. It has a TOURAN Hamon, and ITAME hada. The polish is definitely degraded, and there are some nicks and bends on the edge.

428overall.jpg

428sugata.jpg

428mei.jpg

428hamon.jpg

428kissaki.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I've always loved the look of the long kissaki.

It does definitely look interesting! I just wish it was in better polish. The kissaki is 3 / 7.6cm inches long. Without the yokote, I wouldn't be able to tell where it started at all. The transition is seamless.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..