Fumei Kanayama

sabi

I was fortunate to have this guard offered to me recently, and am supremely honored to be the next in a long line of caretakers.

Its heavy rim encircles a typically abstract design, which is affectionately described as "Fumei" in the 2016 KTK catalog where it makes an appearance.  I was enamored with the dynamic presentation of this unknown motif and excited to see if I could discover more about it.  I'm never one to leave well enough alone, but hey that's part of the fun right?? 

Many Kanayama tsuba feature motifs derived from various religions - the iconic temple bell, daruma dolls, gourds...  Even some of the not so obvious ones can be twisted in that direction.  A gunbai design has been interpreted as the ears of the Buddha/Ebisu, and another well known piece has possible ties to the concept of "Mu" (emptiness) along with some serious Enso vibes. 

The circles on this guard are featured in the same manner on other Kanayama works, and are usually described as Sun and Moon (see also: Mind and Body, Heaven and Earth).  The forms making up the hitsu ana are especially peculiar, the KTK write up notes them as possibly a "matsu pine bark kamon" or simply a "pleasant geometric abstraction" in addition to the fumei call.  Whether I'm on to something or have just been starting at it for too long, I'd like to humbly suggest that they could be a depiction of a seated Buddha, and perhaps more specifically, him as an ascetic. 

The statue below is of this form, located at the Kita-in shrine in Saitama.  If you squint just a little bit, there's a pretty striking resemblance - legs crossed, a prominent halo and the angular section emphasizing his emaciated state.  While not necessarily to the Buddha's extreme (the ascetic lifestyle was abandoned in favor of the "Middle Way"), this discipline has a strong relationship with Zen, and I imagine a Bushi relating well to these teachings.  The mid Momoyama period, which I believe this to be a product of, is also the source of many other similarly influenced works from Owari province in the form of ji sukashi, Yamakichibei, Hoan, and the famous inscribed tsuba of Nobuie.  To those few that are still with me, it sounds crazy right? Yeah maybe a little 😅.  But with the similar silhouette and circles tying into the theme, it's been a fun possibly to consider at the very least.

I'd love to know if anyone has seen a design like this used on another occasion or anything juicy that might add to the speculation.  I've had a blast with this piece so far and wanted to share my thoughts, and would happily open this up to any other similarly abstract guards out there that our members may have some ideas about.  👺🙏⛩️

IMG_20220102_125806707~3.jpg

IMG_20220102_125957874~2.jpg

received_1076758449773889.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Florian! 

Researching gravestones was what led me to the Buddha idea and I still think it's a possibility.  Just haven't found one convincing enough yet (most are a variation of the five tiered style) but I'm still looking! 

Really appreciate your contribution, it makes this one all the more fun to study. 

20 hours ago, FlorianB said:

Hello Evan,

Kanayama design is often very abstract and difficult to interpret - if interpretation is intended at all.

Another idea concerning Your guard: these forms could also symbolize a stupa or a gravestone.

stupa.jpg.6cf8f9ef98916c5cf0dc90c834955824.jpgcementry-japan.jpg.418618d8f336919758c6fc13bfbfed16.jpg

Best, Florian

Seeing this thread, my though was "Gorinto".

It seems you guys had the same thought.

It definitely has that vibe, someone on FB commented that it could also be the top of a stupa.  I hadn't come across any with the same configuration until seeing their reference - one of the Hyakumantō (one million pagodas) commissioned by Empress Shōtoku in the 8th century.

Any of these seem like a real possibility and it's been a joy to explore them so far.  Rich T. said it perfectly years ago in one of his write ups - "The general graphic employed in Kanayama tsuba designs display I believe the rustic quirkiness common in the Momoyama period but having said that, I still feel there is an overall simpleness to these designs. It may just be that they are displayed with an artistic bent we are not exposed to on a daily basis in these modern times."

DP100676.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..