Tachi vs Katana

All Tachi are katana 刀, in fact all blades including small knives were katana.

Having said that, there was an early period in history when curved swords were worn hung from the left hip. These were tachi, and they were drawn out in an outward and upwards curve for fighting on horseback as much as anything. The history, the balance when worn, and the battlefield purpose defined the Tachi for that period of time, until the necessary remit and functions of the succeeding katana kicked in.

• Like 3

Excellent link, Chris. Thank you.

If I had anything to add, it would be to Darcy's last paragraph where he says he is not sure what to call a rare yari that has been made into a Tanto.

Here in Japan I have often heard the expression 'Yari-tanto'.

Also, Westerners tend to like the classical word Yanone 矢ノ根 for arrowhead. Yanone is found in the title of a Kabuki play, but in general usage I have only ever heard Japanese people using the word Yajiri 鏃 for arrowhead. 

(Interestingly, and little to do with the price of fish, Japanese see the part of the arrow that buries itself into the ground or into flesh, as its butt (shiri) or root (ne). Westerners see it as the 'head' of an arrow.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great question Edward, I am fairly new to the Japanese Sword world but thought I knew the answer, I didn’t. Thank you all for helping to clear this up. Thank you very much Chris for the link that made it all perfectly clear, GREAT reading. We will all keep learning from others and that is what makes this forum and the people here the ABSOLUTE BEST.

MikeR

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, cju777 said:

Also wanted to share one of Darcy’s blog posts:

Thanks Chris, that's a good read.  I also read the "Mumei" blog post following it - also a good read, so thanks for the "2 for the price of one"  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jon

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..