Surrender / letter of presentation dated 1946? With pics of sword, mon on saya, tsuba

Shuriken

I'm amazed that someone would literally hack the iron tsuba like that, and not make any attempt at cleaning up the work. Japanese sword making always seems to have a feeling of artistry to it. Would a smith offer this sword to his daimyo with that workmanship?

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

PS  look for tsuba on net or for sale. More than a few ...even famous ones...like that.

Thank you for opening my eyes @Stephen which happens here on NMB almost every day. You're absolutely right, of course! And then I found this tsuba on eBay which not only has similar, if not same level of modification, but the overall shape and design is very similar!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324945004066?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=324945004066&targetid=1262749491582&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9031025&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1262749491582&abcId=9300678&merchantid=223125019&gclid=CjwKCAiA8bqOBhANEiwA-sIlN74P1EFv3kaIRvufYtew5VvxSEvD4WgF3r3e2-FjY9KFyKDyWMSwNRoC5kcQAvD_BwE

Let's dig deeper into the sword. How about a shot the other side of the Tang.

Some photos of the blade especially the kissaki.  The sugata thats the entire blade sans fittings.

The nagasa measurements. The tip to munemachi notch.

Please dont lay on white cloth the first photo looks like the upper hamon is missing. White is the worst background. You're in Cali so it can't be too cold outside,  photos with your sun at your back,it really brings out a lot. 

Finally any close-ups of any activity such as hada hamon ... Anything that you can photograph

Stephen,

No, I'm not saying that. But it might be an indication.

Looking closely, a TAGANE mark pushes the metal in the direction of the NAKAGO-ANA, where it can be filed to fit the blade exactly. The bottom of these TAGANE marks are usually smooth from the (TAGANE) tip. Sometimes you see clearly that the metal could not be 'moved' as it should have been if it had sufficient ductility. Cast iron usually breaks like a Cookie and cannot be pushed in a certain direction, it rather breaks off. The surface in such a case is usually coarse and not smooth. 

I have seen copied TSUBA with cast-in TAGANE marks. These look different from totally handmade TSUBA which has to do with the casting process. In older TSUBA which have had a lot of corrosion, the indentations can also be less smooth and look dubious. I don't think that there is a hard and fast rule; one has to see the respective TSUBA in hand and consider the general condition and age to make an assessment.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..