Yoroi and Kabuto on Aoi Art

I would appreciate any opinions on this suit of armour.

Would you trust the attribution papers for the kabuto and menpo and would you consider the set to represent good value overall?

Should it be submitted for more recent papers?

I usually only collect smaller items and as such I'm only intending to own one Yorio, Menpo and Kabuto. 

I admit that I'm taken by it, but I don't know if pieces of this standard are regularly available and it would be better to wait.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Mark,

The armour itself appears to be complete matching set, the finishes and fittings are decent, but not the highest quality and the condition of the various components is pretty good overall. I would treat the kamon as later additions, always buy the armour not the story. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

I would not trust the attribution papers, the Myochin are well known for making inaccurate attributions and stretching the truth, both the kabuto and Menpo do not reflect their attributions in my opinion. All that being said, the papers were respected and taken very seriously at the time they were issued, they appear to be inline with period of manufacture and add credible provenance to the armour.

If the armour was submitted for papers it would likely pass without any issues, at the price point I am a little surprised it is not already papered.

10,000,000 JPY is a lot of money and there are a lot of options at this price point, it might be worth shopping around and reaching out to some other dealers to see what is available.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much Thomas @Iekatsu.

You've answered all the major questions I had.

I was especially dubious of the menpo attribution and I thought the kamon looked to be a later addition. I too was surprised by the lack of contemporary origami.

With your advice in mind, I'll not jump on this suit and instead take a few months to explore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My guess is that the price reflects the quality and rarity of an armour in such pristine condition. If I had the ready cash then I’d be happy to have this on display at home. Aoi Art are probably happy to have it there, knowing they will not find a replacement too easily.
It sounds as if you are not too keen on it though anyway, going off the boil so quickly, so no point in making them a cheeky offer, right?

• Like 2

Thank you Piers.

You caught me. I do like it, a lot, I was trying not to think too much about it, so as to be better able to explore other options.

Are Aoi Art ok with offers these days?

The last time I made an offer was almost a decade ago and I was told in response that the item had been withdrawn from sale. It was removed from the site but reappeared, about a month later, once I'd stopped enquiring about it. :dunno:

Haha, well after that experience, now you know the worst they can do! :popcorn:
To tell you the truth I have never had any dealings with them, so I have no right to advise.

Surely though you have the right to make them an offer, even warn them in advance, or ask them if they’d be open to a deal, or interested in cash on the barrelhead…?

(I’ll get my hat and my coat on the way out.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As mentioned above, good matching set in good (restored!) condition!

Thomas and Piers have given good advice especially in terms of origami. I don’t want to go into the translation (description) of the papers on the website for the time being…;-)

• Like 1
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Alex A said:

Hi Mark, 

Know nothing of armour but living in the UK, id be tempted to get in touch with David Thatcher to see if he is selling or knows anyone that is selling something that may suit, always a chance, i suppose,

David Thatcher – Katchushi Koubou – Japanese Samurai Armour Studio (yoroi.uk)

Thank you Alex.

I think that would be a wise approach.

11 hours ago, uwe said:

As mentioned above, good matching set in good (restored!) condition!

Thomas and Piers have given good advice especially in terms of origami. I don’t want to go into the translation (description) of the papers on the website for the time being…;-)

Thank you Uwe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..