WW2 Japanese Navy Takayama sword

Hi you all wanted opinions for this sword I have the blade is mint scabbard a little split on top but sound I normally see 2 hangers where mine has one don’t know if this hurts the value and what is the value for this sword 

steve

AFEE663B-FB8F-4A28-BFDC-CF8AB5A0E61F.jpeg

6C85ECDC-4F1B-4B6C-BF4B-059F07B2ED5A.jpeg

8521F990-9F2B-44F9-98D6-A93C1F203B46.jpeg

7C3EE1DA-62E7-4DFA-B0B3-67B605421252.jpeg

50CA7B87-6F25-4FF2-B798-8310DB303030.jpeg

• Like 1

Steve,

The uniform regs were changed in the last year of the war to allow for 1 haikan (hangar) and lesser quality fittings, so this koshirae is likely made in the last year.  It's a nice looking rig for a late-war kaigunto, actually!  Puzzled by the 3 holes in the nakago, but that doesn't detract from it's value. 

Someone else will have to help you with the saya crack question.

4 hours ago, ckaiserca said:

Is it possible that the Sarute Hatome passes through the nakago? It looks long enough…

Charles, I think you're right.  The nakago is longer than usual, so the hole at the very end must be for the sarute.  Still don't understand the hole just below it, though, unless the blade was originally made for RS fittings, then sold to a Navy buyer.

• 2 months later...

Hi Thanks for the information about my takayama I was told the surrender cloth was a sports cloth back in the 30s

Anyway I wanted to continue regarding my takayama sword 

I was told it was post war put together and the wrapping is backwards 

I got sick when I heard this Can anyone help with is authenticity 

steve

On 12/28/2021 at 12:01 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

Charles, I think you're right.  The nakago is longer than usual, so the hole at the very end must be for the sarute.  Still don't understand the hole just below it, though, unless the blade was originally made for RS fittings, then sold to a Navy buyer.

Hi Bruce I was told that the wrapping on my   
handle is wrong? I did not expect that since I have had it for a while and no body ever mentioned this 

steve

Steve,

I think whomever told you the wrap was wrong, likely was thinking of the flat-wrap style normally seen on kaigunto.  There are names for the various styles, which I don't know, but the majority of navy wrap is the flat style like this:

image_zpsu7lyjyeq.thumb.jpeg.3fd817a53fcf9dbcfb26093ec7d3a4a7.jpeg

Yours is folded, but I've seen plenty of kaigunto with the folded style as well.  There was plenty of variation in every official gunto type.

As to your saya, I would think a repair would be easier than finding another saya to fit your blade.  Guys have done it, but it's a real hit-and-miss random experience, as each set of fittings were custom shaped to each blade.  All blades varied in every dimension.  Want to show us the split you are concerned about? @Dave R has quite a bit of experience with such things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tell me about it I was hoping to find a dbl hanger but unfortunately not easy 
I guess I will hav to settle for the single hanger I hav I will send pictures 

Because it’s so thick the split has a gap

thanks for your help with the wrapping I was freaking out about it

Having a bit more time I will go into more detail. Of the eleven saya I have bought off the market only the one wood and leather and two steel Gunto saya, were  ready fits for spare blades I had. The wood and leather was a complete koshirae and all of it fitted the blade I had, saya and tsuka, which we all agreed in the local To-Ken club was a one in a million chance, never to be repeated.

I bought a stack of three from Japan, one of them fitted a blade I had, and the other two fitted nothing, and still not with anything six years later. Non of the others  fitted blades that I had already. So eleven saya, four fitted something.

What I have done on three occasions is to split and re cut a random near fit saya to fit a blade, and I have repaired two damaged saya to hold their original blades safely.

Repair is easier and more sure of a decent fit. (Apologies if the numbers are a bit confusing, I kind-a-got-lost-there-myself!)

1.jpg

5.jpg

925848350_o.jpg

gunto saya from Bill.jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

• Like 3

I agree I had bought another navy scabbard thinking it would fit Big mistake it went part way in

I do see double hangers  which is what I want but don’t want to make another mistake 

I did think about splitting a different one or use a cover but that would take away the look 

mine is split especially the top front with a gap I can’t pinch it closed so I don’t know if

a repair will work? I will send pictures when I get it I appreciate everyone’s help 

And if anyone had ideas Or know where I can buy a scabbard I will pay a generous amount provided it’s a nice one

steve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..