Help please

Markdd

Dear Mark.

I suppose it depends on what you think you are buying and you can't tell much from these can you?  We can see that it's out of polish and you are going to want to get it polished so the cost is a big factor.  Question is, do you see something here that is going to make a polish worthwhile?  The nakago is badly rusted, and that won't change with a polish.  I think I can see some questionable damage to the edge up in the monuchi. 

Of course ask for more photograph but don't expect to see much more from them, you might ask for one with the habaki off but it doesn't look like that will be forthcoming.

Your money, your call but this one looks like it's going to be a money pit.

Let us know how it turns out and have a wonderful Christmas.

All the best.

• Like 2

Personal opinion only, the sword has been meddled with quite some. The nakago seems acid damaged (like someone tried really hard to artificial age it) then there is the chance the yasurime were added aggressively before that and an old mei removed for a gimei. Nakago looks shinshinto or later ( forgive me for not being able to read mei, yet)

As said, it's your money , depends on the threshold and why you want it or what you hope you will gain from it

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..