Let's chat surrender tags

Shuriken

The company name is 凌霜堂軍刀店.  They are listed in 大日本刀剣商工名鑑 on page 199 and located in Tōkyō 東京.  Does anyone have a copy of the page in question?  I am pretty certain 凌霜 is a last name but I am not sure whether to translate 堂 into English or not.  I would like @SteveM to double-check the rōmaji and English translation first before settling upon it.

凌霜堂軍刀店 = Ryōsō-dō Guntō-Ten = Ryōsō-dō Military Sword Shop.

This is the first time I have run across a sword from this shop and I would like to see more pictures of the fittings if possible.  In addition, this is the first time I have seen a shop tag affixed to the outside of a scabbard.  In my opinion, this is far more interesting than a surrender tag.  Thank you for posting this picture as it has been educational to say the least.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 6/16/2022 at 8:05 PM, Lareon said:

Thought you guys might like a photo of the whole sticker

PXL_20220616_120302578.PORTRAIT.jpg

The sticker says the Mei of the blade is 肥後國同田貫宗廣作, can't see that on the tang of this blade.
It also said the handle should have kamon. So, maybe this scabbard is not the original to this sword?

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..