Help identify the old sword

wiktor69

Greetings friends, my name is Victor, I am from Russia and I am interested in history. Help if possible. This sword was found in the ground and badly damaged. Unfortunately, the people who found it cleaned it themselves with a power tool. Nakago without signature or signature has been lost.
Thank you.

Screenshot_20211222_114728.jpg

Screenshot_20211222_114649.jpg

2 hours ago, Wolfmanreid said:

Wow where was it found somewhere in the Russian Far East near the Chinese border?  It looks like some file marks on the nakago are still visible despite the abuse it has suffered.  Hard to say much given condition but I will take a stab and guess not extremely old…  

Yes, it was found near Ussuriysk

• Like 1

Victor, just guessing, it is a hand made sword from 75-300 years old.  The problem of course is that it has fatal flaws and there is no value or reason to spend money to restore it.  The cutting edge has been damaged so badly that the entire hamon is likely lost in those places.  In addition, the pits are so deep in many places that a polisher would have to polish it down to the size of a toothpick to get a natural shape out of it.  If this is your first sword, don't spend any money on it and save it as an example of how far you will go in sword collecting in the future.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 4:01 AM, Surfson said:

Victor, just guessing, it is a hand made sword from 75-300 years old.  The problem of course is that it has fatal flaws and there is no value or reason to spend money to restore it.  The cutting edge has been damaged so badly that the entire hamon is likely lost in those places.  In addition, the pits are so deep in many places that a polisher would have to polish it down to the size of a toothpick to get a natural shape out of it.  If this is your first sword, don't spend any money on it and save it as an example of how far you will go in sword collecting in the future.

Bob, thanks for your answer.
Since this sword is worthless, I polished it myself with Japanese water stones. Let it be in my collection.
Hamon in the form of a series of long and short hills can be seen very well (photo 7,8,9), but I could not find information about this type.

Victor.

IMG_20211229.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..