Type 98 I think

Ebook

Japaneseswordindex shows 3 Kunihiro mei and one of them is this one:

http://japaneseswordindex.com/oshigata/kunihir2.jpg

Nihontoclub shows 2 kunihiro, one from Fukuoka, the other from Aomori, both using the scquare kanji for Kunihiro 國廣. 

Kataoka Kunihiro was RJT qualified, which is why I was wondering about a possible star stamp, but his mei looked like this:

http://japaneseswordindex.com/oshigata/kunihiro.jpg

I saw that small mark too, but don't know what to think about it.  It could be a poorly struck Seki or Nagoya mark, but neither would necessarily mean the blade is showato, as they both show up in small form on star-stamped blades.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kiipu said:

Reverse: 昭和十八年一月 = January 1943.

I do not recognize the swordsmith's signature so someone else will need to look at it.  If it is a Seki smith, than maybe @mecox will know some history.

@SteveM @BANGBANGSAN

國(国)can also write as 囯  圀 囶

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks SteveM and BangBangSan for the bailout.  I just do not like this smith's penmanship.  He must have been one of those former blacksmiths!  And congrats to Detective Bruce for tracking him down and verifying such a smith existed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..