WW II Sword Identification

Fogmon

@Fogmon

Michael,

It is a Type 98 Japanese officer sword, in case he doesn't already know.

I, too, would be interested to see any small stamps.  They are usually near the top, close to the handguard (tsuba/seppa), and sometimes on the back edge of the tang (nakago).  Sometimes there are stamped numbers at the end of the nakago.

I definitely like the second one!

Please make sure to inform him to avoid handling the blades with bare skin! Use some kind of soft soft for a few reasons: less risk of being cut and no skin oils on the metal (it destroys the metal). Could we get some pictures of the nakago of this second one?

• Like 2

Michael in the last lot of pics, the tsuka (handle) looks exceptionally long but maybe its matched to the blade which then must be quite long in itself...

If you have a chance could you measure the tsuka (guard to top) and also the length of the blade ?  Quickest/easiest way to measure blade (but not correct way) is from the bottom of the handguard to the tip.

Rob

These swords were brought back from the War by his brother. Thank you all for the great information and I will try to get more details about the swords in the coming weeks. He lives up by my cabin and I won’t be up there again for about 2-3 weeks. 

• Thanks 1

Personal opinion.  Grip bindings, "tsuka Ito" were often done by teen schoolgirls in a factory. I suspect markings to help with the job, for untrained lasses working to a deadline.... or even a post war repair. (I am not an expert, I am a geek). I will make a post with all my trashed tsuka at some time if requested. 

sword-factory.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave R said:

Personal opinion.  Grip bindings, "tsuka Ito" were often done by teen schoolgirls in a factory. I suspect markings to help with the job, for untrained lasses working to a deadline.... or even a post war repair. (I am not an expert, I am a geek). I will make a post with all my trashed tsuka at some time if requested. 

sword-factory.jpg

Thank you Dave!  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..