Body Cutting test

Yes, it is for real. The sword looks to be as advertised. The diagram is a modern re-creation of an older one famously known; it details the various kinds of cuts that could be done. Often times, the sword will have what kind of cut was used inscribed on the nakago.

• Like 3

I've seen this video before; its an enjoyable one. However, a cutting test doesn't necessarily make a sword on the level of what you see here. It depends on a lot of factors: age, condition, smith/school, length, etc. This is true for all swords; think of a cutting test as an 'optional upgrade' like you would on a nice car. Of course, this 'upgrade' is one that is typically never done anymore and certainly not on bodies!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Be skeptical about cutting tests. They can make a poor to average sword way more appealing than they would otherwise be. Unless the test is carried out by someone who is a member of one of the families authorised to carry out such a test and his name and seal are there, treat with caution. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shugyosha said:

Be skeptical about cutting tests. They can make a poor to average sword way more appealing than they would otherwise be. Unless the test is carried out by someone who is a member of one of the families authorised to carry out such a test and his name and seal are there, treat with caution. 

This is also something you should definitely consider thoroughly if you're thinking of getting a cutting test sword. Much like how sometimes bohi are added to hide/remove flaws!

• Like 2

I'm sure youre aware (but this is the internet...)

The inscription says "Futatsu do ochiru" which means "Cut two bodies" if it said "Ni no do" that would be the location of the cut as seen in the illustration. Since we cannot see the artists signature nor any seal or other mention of the cutter - I would not give this lots of weight in my considerations...

-t

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..