Shin-Gunto with BRASS mekugi? How to remove.

tbonesullivan

This is definitely something I haven't seen before, and I searched around and wasn't able to find out much. This Shin-Gunto looks to be a type 94, with the smooth brown finish on the scabbard. Perforated TSUBA, Scabbard lock, and the standard fittings.

However, when we went to remove the peg, it would not budge. Looking at it closer, we realized it was made from brass or bronze, and may have been machine pressed in, or something similar. It doesn't have any screw slots.  Has anyone seen anything like this, and do you have any tips for getting it out?

12428mekugi1.jpg

12428mekugi2.jpg

Can't imagine it being original, however with gunto we never say never, nor always!  Depending upon how much punch-force is needed to move it, I'd worry about crushing the table-side of the tsuka.  Be sure to pad the underside of the ito/same' to avoid that. 

As to how - maybe some metal shop guys can give a tip.  Metals guys like @IJASWORDS may have an idea.

• Like 2

Well, we had our gunsmiths go at it, and they got it out relatively easily without any damage.

Tang is signed 角秀國. The blade is 27 1/2 inches long (38 1/4 inches overall), and it has a very interesting profile It has a Yokote in the polish, but I'm not sure if there is actually a kissaki. I feel no difference in the taper, and the Yokote is about 3 inches from the tip. It almost looks like a Shobu Zukiri. I don't have time right now to take more photos and measurements, but I'll be sure to post them when I can.

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/HID60

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..