Australian sword laws, Victoria in particular, do they apply to broken blades?

Wooper58

Sorry to reuse this thread, but can anyone provide any info on the blade? Well the portion that’s still there. 

I’ve included a few more images from the seller, would like to know the possible era and make it belongs to?

Thanks for all the support so far, you guys are great!

A315796A-B69C-4417-A007-439EA2D438C0.jpeg

898DF336-8E30-48DD-84DF-E418FC0D5BA9.jpeg

F5AE5C5F-2B2F-44B2-8D46-B5521D866BF8.jpeg

48EFA6FC-CA06-4AC7-B4BA-D59ABDCB92AC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I would say the only safe way to go here is to the authority that controls the import of swords with the pictures and dimensions and ask. Making sure you have an official written response. 

As you said this is criminal legal matter, it’s best not to try and interpret or find a clever loop hole as a prosecuting service will not care and the cost of getting this wrong is not a bit of a pain paying to get it out of customs.

Jonathan,

I think you might be disappointed in what you can see. I have seen several which have not revealed very much. Most telling of all was a section of a Show-To which appears to be a single piece construction. There are some images ( I think in the Kapp/Yoshindo book) that clearly show the core steel but not in great detail.

Thanks guys that’s helpful. I was wondering if you could trace the grain pattern through a sword.  My swords ridge back grain seems to be in a different direction to the surface and upper surface grain, so it would be nice to try and trace the grain inside a blade ( I’ve got some very high magnification equipment) so I can see how it works.

jonathan

On 12/31/2021 at 1:19 PM, Jon said:

Thanks guys that’s helpful. I was wondering if you could trace the grain pattern through a sword.  My swords ridge back grain seems to be in a different direction to the surface and upper surface grain, so it would be nice to try and trace the grain inside a blade ( I’ve got some very high magnification equipment) so I can see how it works.

jonathan

I think the problem you'll have is mostly related to the polish on the face you'll be examining, or rather the lack thereof.

The details of the steel; the microstructure, layers and lamination are not readily visible to the naked eye.

Polishing is needed to bring them out.

I'm sure there will be plenty there to study, but it'll need a proper polish. I'm not sure a traditional Japanese polish would bring out all the internal details and I'm not sure if any togishi offers this service.

A modern hybrid polish involving an acid etch should work to bring out some details, but again I wouldn't know who to suggest and any kind of polish would obviously add cost.

I have several san-mai wa-bocho and on those clad in pattern welded nickel/ stainless the san-mai lamination layers are visible when looking at the spine and choil; like looking sideways at a sandwich. I can't capture this in photos, but can see it under certain lighting at specific angles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..