Tsuba inspiration?

Bugyotsuji

The other day I bought this Tsuba simply because the design appealed to me, but I know nothing about it. The dealer shrugged his shoulders when asked for attribution.
The plate is quite large at 8.4 cm x 8.0 cm, and fairly thin at 0.4 cm overall, fine-grain iron with rounded-off mimi, smooth to the touch.

My guess is this is an elaboration on the Tōsho Tsuba style. The sukashi are all well cut, but I found the combination of elements strangely unusual… a Horagai triton shell and three flowers that do not normally appear together.

Ume’ flower in late winter, beginning of the new year, Sakura in late March, early April, and Kiku chrysanthemum in the late autumn/fall. 
The chrysanthemum here has only 12 petals, so no imperial suggestion, I guess.

What do you folks think?

B075DA44-9E31-4AD5-BC30-E399C7B5233C.thumb.jpeg.f9519dad5e947f6b84027ae0ab2d3f97.jpeg

6B0A6F45-8084-42C7-AE85-EECA80E4B231.thumb.jpeg.7d079551e35a5b5d4443df5a9e16db74.jpeg

Thanks for looking! :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Generally this is a Saotome design, though yours doesn't feel Saotome.

Tosho - Katchushi is probably the right ballpark. It might get a Myochin, Haruta, or Saotome attribution from the NBTHK depending on their mood that month.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..