How much oil is too much?

Sumuzu

I am using Break Free Collector Long-Term oil for my katana. I wipe the blade clean before I apply a thin layer of the oil. Even with small amount, you can see the oil on the blade. Hence I give it another clean wipe after applying the oil. Is that sort of waste of time? :/ 

I find when I apply oil, no matter how thin a coat I think I put on (usually apply it, even it out, and then wipe it a second time with a new, dry tissue) that I still have to check it the next day and wipe the blade again with a new tissue.  The oil seems to ‘bead up’ and needs another wipe to even it out again.  

• Thanks 1

I heard choji oil is the only acceptable standard. I usually revisit the blades and their oil content about 48 hrs in and wipe off extra content otherwise your shirasaya will get wet. Something to consider! Feel free to correct me!

J.

There was a thread experiment on different oils here way back in 2015. The collector oil came out on top for protection, so that's why I use that. So applied and then wipe with clean cloth is good. :D Good to know that. I just afraid too little oil sort of defeat the purpose of oiling the blade. 

Better to put the oil on the cloth, then wipe over with an impregnated cloth. Putting the oil on the blade and wiping leads to beading etc. It should be barely noticeable.
Also, use Isopropyl Alcohol before oiling, it's old oil that leads to the beading.

• Like 3

Yoshihiro TSOIL 100% Pure Tsubaki Japanese Knife Maintenance Oil With Complimentary Sabitori Rust Eraser, 3.4 oz, Large, Golden Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZ6SYSY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ZDTTCNSJ5K1X6WMRAWSA

DO NOT be tempted with the rust eraser (maybe on your kitchen knife)

Comes with your own microfiber or you can get the bottle by itself for $9.99

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Darkcon said:

I heard choji oil is the only acceptable standard.

I think this was true back in the 1800s, but nowadays we know a bit more than we did back then. High quality mineral oils, lightweight machine oils, the oil that Stephen linked to above, etc.. can be used with confidence. The only thing special about the chōji oil was the fragrance. They still sell it in the sword shops, but even the dealers don't recommend pure chōji oil anymore. 

This is a topic that comes up once or twice a year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SteveM said:

I think this was true back in the 1800s, but nowadays we know a bit more than we did back then. High quality mineral oils, lightweight machine oils, the oil that Stephen linked to above, etc.. can be used with confidence. The only thing special about the chōji oil was the fragrance. They still sell it in the sword shops, but even the dealers don't recommend pure chōji oil anymore. 

This is a topic that comes up once or twice a year. 

Appreciate that. I ordered it already. 

So in what interval do you suggest I 'change' the oil?

J.

Only time ive noticed beads of oil is when ive used a light machine oil. Hence tried it and stopped using it right away, only place i use that now is on an electric shaver

Used express gun oil for many years without any bother so will stick with that. Quite thick and leaves a very fine film

Each to their own

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..