Help identifying a sword

Andy Spohn

Hello,

I posted this sword into the WW2 section but was informed it could be older than that time frame. I was hoping to find out more about the sword. Below is a link to all the photos I currently have of the sword.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0uP4lBdtNdXexcdA6dxRuOoYw

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a genuine Japanese sword, likely to be at least 400 years old and appears to be in good shape based on the limited photos.  The mounts are interesting, but not likely to contain most of the value of the piece.  Curbside appraisal would put the piece at $2000-3000 or so, though these days one never knows what will happen at an auction, good or bad.  Mark will give you a fair appraisal on it.  

I have looked at Andy's sword and hopefully helped him out some...... My impression is:  Blade appears Muromachi, it is signed katana mei not tachi mei but we could see that from the pictures. The blade looks to be medium quality, i don't see any visible fatal flaws, there are some small carbon inclusions and/or small pits or ware', some nicks (polish should take out), some coarse hada (maybe core steel), habaki was tight and i didn't want to damage it so left it as is so didn't see the machi.  I think it was originally signed Fujishima_______  and the smiths name has been lost.  All in all the blade is an honest Koto sword, not a treasure but not junk, just mediocre. The tsuka and saya were redone probably Meiji for export (sale to foreigners), you can see the 2 hangers were not original, they were added to the saya. The tsuba is ok, nothing special my guess is Meiji, same for fuchi kashira and menuki.  The hangers have dragons (one is missing on one side) and Tigers (the tigers seem to be maybe tobacco pouch ornaments, the dragons look like they were made as part of the hanger but they must of been added as you can see the spot where the missing one was attached).  Probably the sword had samurai mounts and then they were tarted up  in Meiji.  I gave some suggestions about how to care for the sword and preserve the koshirae as it will deteriorate if left as is or mishandled.  He will probably post his thoughts.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I would like to thank Mark for taking the time to meet with me, teach me more about the sword, and provide me more knowledge about what I have in my possession. I would agree with what Mark stated about this sword and have taken necessary steps to try an preserve it the best I can at this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..