Identical Item Listed for Different Prices

Hi All,

I just saw (what appears to be) the exact same Kogatana and Kogai listed for different prices on Yahoo Japan auction and Ebay by what appears to be different sellers.

For reference:

https://www.jauce.com/auction/1024399257 (¥10,500 JPY at time of posting)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275055370318 ($645 USD at time of posting)

I'm not sure what to make of this. Is one a liar or are there retailers in Japan that will list through multiple sources?

I wanted to share this curiosity I found and was wondering if anyone could give some more information on this phenomenon.

One is a liar.

Many [not all] of the eBay seller listings from Japan are jerks arbitraging items that can be found for less in Japan.

I managed to avoid them for years, but got caught by one earlier this year. I hit his Buy It Now.

Yet then I discovered the item listed in Japan with 7 days to go on the item. The Faux Seller kept putting me off as he tried to bid on the other item.

Ultimately, if they can arbitrage it- they will and screw you.  If not, they cancel and say "Item no longer available".

IN my case, I began copying messages to eBay while catpawing with the faux seller to please send the item. The seller ultimately claimed that I asked to cancel the transaction [I did not].

--I ended up winning the item in Japan for about 55% of the price I had hit on eBay.

Despite being caught, eBay still lets the Arbitrage scammer list items. It is unclear how they justify it, but they basically take the attitude that you must be mistaken...even if you send them an image of the item in your hand held over a physical hardcopy of today's local newspaper.

The short version:   other than maybe Matsukaze and one or two others, avoid sellers out of Japan. The majority are Arbitrage scammers that eBay continues to permit.

Curran

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..