Sword Tassels

ChrisAWilson

This is probably sacrilegious on here but I just don't want to spend the funds I could put toward another sword on accoutrements. That being said I'd like to get a couple of nice looking Tassels for a couple of my better swords, I'm not trying to fool anyone just want to dress up a couple of swords that are diisplayed, If its not considered heresy could someone tell me who makes and sales some decent Tassels. Looking for a  Kai Gunto and one for a Shin Gunto. Thanks

Chris Wilson

thanks Bruce, I"ve looked on there and saw some that run around 60 that looked decent in the pics and I've seen some that the lanyard part just looks like thick string also. I just thought I'd ask on here before I purchased one to see as I do want it to look right.  I'm just looking for one of the brown Kai's and a blue and brown officer one. Maybe one of these days I'll find an original in good shape that they don't want 3 or 400 for.  Couple of my swords had remnants of tassels on them but they were in such bad shape and falling apart that I removed them an put them away in a box of parts for safe keeping. 

Chris I know how you feel about spending a lot on accoutrements which could be put away to accumulate to a new sword But just my two cents, I would Never put a Repo anything on a original sword. For me it always sends up a red flag of what else is not right or fake. I would rather my swords have no tassel, which is perfectly ok, than be anywhere near a fake one. Your decision, your sword.
   MikeR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting what we prioritize at any given time in this hobby. I've prioritized accessory parts and accoutrements over the past several months. I felt that I had acquired a sufficient number of guntos this past year (21 Gunto in my collection currently) since my introduction to the hobby and I wanted a pause to focus on any needed repairs and parts/accessories acquisitions. So, I've spent some funds having some tsukas re-wrapped and some sayas restored or touched up (work performed by David McDonald or Randy Black), and I've purchased a number of original parts and accessories (including sarutes, sarute barrels, and tassels). I've made good progress. I still have a Type 98 that needs a tsuka re-wrap, and I may acquire one or two more tassels in the months ahead. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..