Jūyō 67 results

The results for Jūyō 67 just came online.

https://www.touken.or.jp/Portals/0/第67回重要刀剣等指定品発表.pdf

Another very interesting session with lot to think about. Of course lot of wondering on my part as not having info or pictures of the items. I was very excited to see two Ōdachi in this session as they are incredibly rare. I believe these ones Morimitsu & Masaie are in the collection of Yasukuni Jinja. Both were previously unknown to me and seem to be longest examples by each ot the smiths that I am aware of.

I did the swords in similar format as I've done before for my index and eventually when I have time for all the non-blade items I will update that to include the most recent results.

Jūyō 67 swords.docx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

• 3 weeks later...

I totally understand why this doesn't happen, but I do very much wish they provided photos of the blades/signatures etc...as they pass through nbthk and nbthk for blades that pass shinsa.  It would open up such a breadth of data and available knowledge of existing blades and so much more.  They are the organizations best positioned to be able to do such a thing.

The dream would be also do Hozon/Toku hozon where most blades/fittings will find themselves.   Perhaps in a digital archive, along with their published materials, that they charge a subscription fee to access.  I'd pay.

Imagine having access to every papered "insert smith name/generation here" example.  You could further peruse by age/school/hamon variations etc...would see accepted variations for a smith, entire papered body of work, more accurate idea of existing surviving works etc...

Gets me excited just thinking about it....

• Like 1

Not that I don't agree with you Adam but that would require a lot of man power IMHO. And seen as how long it takes for some of the Juyo stuff to be released which is obviously important work takes quite a while I just don't see that possible. I'll stay dreaming with you though

• Like 1

I think the problem comes with the number of submissions & passes for lower tier items. NBTHK actually releases the numbers and I did dig them up in 2020 for this thread:

In 2019 for Hozon & Tokubetsu Hozon items there were 10,500+ passes

In 2018 for Hozon & Tokubetsu Hozon items there were 10,300+ passes

Compared to

2019 Jūyō - 138 items

2018 Jūyō - 168 items

Just the amount of time required to take good pictures of that amount of blades / items is a lot. Then add in all the processing to digital form and adding info etc.

I do know NBTHK does has their own registry of all the items passed from which they can verify the authenticity of the papers (never done that myself but I believe it is possible).

Also the English translations of certain parts of Tōken Bijutsu are accessible for free to everyone in their website from early 2012 up to this day, while lacking pictures featured in the magazine I still think one can find useful info in there: https://www.touken.or.jp/english/TokenBijutsuTranslation/backnumber.html

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..