Opinion wanted on Wakizashi for the Sydney Shinsa

Hello all,

I purchased this Wakizashi a month or two ago from ebay, largely due to a mistake. The auction had an ‘offer’ option so I entered an offer below half of the asking price just so that I could watch the item in my bid page on ebay. I am happy with the sword and have been going through the two books that I possess on the subject to find out more about the history of the sword.

I recently contacted Adrian in Sydney Australia regarding the viability of have this sword appraised at the upcoming Shinsa in Sydney. The cost would work out to about $500 AUS with postage etc. So My question is;

Given the limited pictures that I am able to provided, would you recommend sending the sword to the Shinsa given the following information;

Nakano is signed …. Soushu ju Hiromasa

Whole Length about 27.0"(68.7cm), The blade Length about 18.1"(46.2cm)

: Carve about 0.4"(1.1cm),

: Width(motohaba) about 0.9"(2.4cm), Width(sakihaba) about 0.6"(1.6cm)

: Weight about 560g

There are a few hada ware and Fukure Yabure near the harmon itself (see pictures) and this alone may make the sword not worth the expenditure in cash or time. I realise that the term “worth it” is subjective but I am after opinions after all.

Lastly Nagayama in the Connoisseur’s Book of Japanese Swords lists two Hiromasa’s smiths working in the Soshu traditions, one from 1394-1428 and the second at about 1492-1501 and gives a brief account of the styles for each smith. With my extremely limited knowledge base I am unable to discern between the two if this is at all possible. My readings to date seem to suggest that Wakizashi’s of the Muromachi period were longer than this one in the whole so would this suggest a fake?

Basically I am after any more information that you are willing to give me on the sword itself and if it is worth the Shinsa.

post-743-14196757978963_thumb.jpg

post-743-14196757980149_thumb.jpg

post-743-14196757981041_thumb.jpg

post-743-14196757982027_thumb.jpg

post-743-14196757982904_thumb.jpg

Some more pictures and two more questions.

Is the state of polish acceptable. There are polishing marks (lines) on the mune neare the tip and on/under the habaki (collor sp??). does this indicate a resent polish in Japan? The sord was posted from this location so my guess is yes.

2. There are a couple of "hamon dots " on both sides of the blade that I cannot find the terminology for but seem to be present in Soshu swords but in much graeter numbers. Does this mean anything?

Once again thatnks for all help.

Regards

Peter McV

post-743-14196757983918_thumb.jpg

post-743-14196757984641_thumb.jpg

post-743-14196757986049_thumb.jpg

post-743-14196757987007_thumb.jpg

post-743-14196757987818_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Lastly Nagayama in the Connoisseur’s Book of Japanese Swords lists two Hiromasa’s smiths working in the Soshu traditions, one from 1394-1428 and the second at about 1492-1501 and gives a brief account of the styles for each smith. With my extremely limited knowledge base I am unable to discern between the two if this is at all possible.

Neither of them.

HIROMASA 1st EN-BUN 1356 SAGAMI 532 HIR 269 JO-SAKU 550 t HIROMITSU

HIROMASA 2nd EI-WA 1375 SAGAMI 532 HIR 270 JO-SAKU 500 f MASAHIRO

HIROMASA 3rd O-EI 1394 SAGAMI K 509 HIR 271 JO-SAKU 500 HIROMITSU

HIROMASA 4th BUN-AN 1444 SAGAMI 532 K 510 HIR 272 JO-SAKU 450

HIROMASA 5th MEI-O 1492 SAGAMI 532 HIR 273 JO-SAKU 400

HIROMASA 1st EN-BUN 1356 SAGAMI 532 HIR 269 JO-SAKU 550 t HIROMITSU

HIROMASA 2nd EI-WA 1375 SAGAMI 532 HIR 270 JO-SAKU 500 f MASAHIRO

Nambokuchô period Shinogi-zukuri Wakizashi? Now, that would be some groundbreaking new development in the study of Nihontô ...

Thanks for the replys,

I must admit that all of the replys went over my head however. What I am taking away from the responces is that this wakizashi is a much later reproduction? I was assuming when I purchased that the blade because it was made during the muromachi period was much less likely to be a forgery due to the proliferation of swords from this historical period.

So what do I actually have?

Regards

Peter McV

Thanks again,

Ok so Shinsa is not worth my while. thanks for the input nagamaki.

Any ideas on classification or history behind the blade?

I realise I am asking a lot and indeed this infomation would cost me the $500 at Shinsa so I promise I will not be disapointed in the lack of replies :D

Regards

Peter McV

Hello all,

Sorry one more question.

Can anybody tell me what style of polish this sword has recived?

And just to state my previous question again. Is this sword able to be assigned a school of manufacture and a time of manufacture. Is the signature gimei?

Thanks again

Peter McV

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..