Older blade in type 98 shin gunto?

cel71

Hello everyone,

I had posted this shin gunto on the military sword forum. Opinions were somewhat divided and the advice was to post them on this forum. The question is from which period this blade is? If more pictures or sizes are needed, just let me know.

Thanks in advance for the effort!

K4.jpg

15K.jpg

14K.jpg

7k.jpg

4k.jpg

5k.jpg

Hello, 

Suspicious of this one, thats not to say its not genuine, just the condition does not allow for anything accurate and there are elements of the blade i dont like. such as the nakago, but anyways.

Clue=one ana (peg hole) so appears ubu (blade length unaltered)

Not thinking anything too early, blade width looks a lot narrower at the pointed end compared to near the nakago and there does not appear to be a great deal of curve. small kissaki.   Perhaps Edo 1660 ish

Nakago jiri reminds me of Bizen

jUST A THOUGHT, NOT A FACT AS IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY FOR SURE IN ITS CURRENT STATE

On 12/9/2021 at 12:30 AM, mywei said:

Looks like it's signed Sukemune

Thanks for your comment! It has also been suggested on the military sword forum that it appears to be Sukemune. However, another writes, and I quote "I would not give the signature too much weight as it is not done in a traditional way but probably with a broken screw-driver". So I have no idea.

Dear M Hermes.

Don't place too much weight on that statement about a screwdriver, I suspect that the person who suggested it might want to reconsider after seeing the enlargements.  I think the nakago, or tang, has seen some bad treatment which makes the mei seem weak.  Mei are inscribed with a small triangular chisel which tends to produce recognisable stepped marks, have a look under a magnifying glass and see what you can make out.

All the best.

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..