shin gunto Id

cel71

Hi

This is my first time on this forum so just a quick introduction. I am a 50 year old collector from the Netherlands of military Dutch swords and sabers. I came across this forum in my quest to identify a shin gunto. It came with another saber and was able to buy this one at a good price.

I also have it on another forum but there may be less expertise in this area than on this forum.
This sword was left behind in Indonesia after the war and was later brought to the Netherlands by a Dutch soldier as a souvenir. It is clear that it is very worn and used.
I think it is a type 98. What I would like to know is when it was made. It has two kanji under the handle. Because they are not very clear due to the rust, I made a drawing of what I think I see.
Hopefully someone recognizes it.
Thanks in advance!

K4.jpg

6k.jpg

8k.jpg

7k.jpg

1k.jpg

4k.jpg

K2.jpg

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

after standing on my head for a few minutes i would guess Sukemune. The blade looks like it is toast

Wow, that's fast, thanks! yes it does look like toast.

I thought I read somewhere that they should be read with the handle up, hence my mistake.
Now it should be easier to read.

15K.jpg

14K.jpg

As you may have noticed I am a novice to Japanese swords. I looked up "Sukemune". Does this mean it's an old blade? I see that several smiths have lived under this name in various time periods. Is there any way to determine which one it was or when this particular sword was made?

Hi M Hermes,

welcome to the NMB forum!

I would not give the signature too much weight as it is not done in a traditional way but probably with a broken screw-driver. But there is a possibility that the blade is pre-WW II. This will not be easy to see as you would need a professional polish of the blade first, the cost of which may be around € 3.000.-- or more.  

14 minutes ago, ROKUJURO said:

Hi M Hermes,

welcome to the NMB forum!

I would not give the signature too much weight as it is not done in a traditional way but probably with a broken screw-driver. But there is a possibility that the blade is pre-WW II. This will not be easy to see as you would need a professional polish of the blade first, the cost of which may be around € 3.000.-- or more.  

Thanks for your comment! 

Hermes,

If you want to know more about the possible age of this blade, post it on the Nihonto Forum for some expert evaluation.

Don't be bothered by the surface rust on this.  If you value it enough to have it polished, it will truly shine.  If money is limited, do a search on NMB for how to clean and preserve a blade.  It is definitely worth preserving!

6 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Hermes,

If you want to know more about the possible age of this blade, post it on the Nihonto Forum for some expert evaluation.

Don't be bothered by the surface rust on this.  If you value it enough to have it polished, it will truly shine.  If money is limited, do a search on NMB for how to clean and preserve a blade.  It is definitely worth preserving!

Thank you Bruce for the advice! I will post it on the Nihonto forum.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..