Copper handle NCO shin gunto

paul griff

Hello,

Picked this one up recently and maybe of interest to someone interested in the serial numbers....Sword has not been on the market and was on the wall of an old gents house then subject to house clearance and for the last twenty five years in a wardrobe...Interestingly the blade and saya numbers are only out by twenty so would hazard a guess they left the arsenal together....Lovely overall patina with wear around the saya where a hand has gripped and distortion to the hanging ring where the sword has been suspended..

Regards,

Paul...

D134CAC2-C4A1-443A-9A72-1D44B9A467C4.jpeg

0234E733-A03D-4014-A996-538F7C150563.jpeg

11F1363C-6261-4342-AE96-D64906192828.jpeg

D119A238-51AF-413E-AF3B-41CF3DE25FFB.jpeg

DC887B4A-17B5-42A8-AC7D-85F95E891C87.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice find Paul!  I agree with your thought that the non-matching numbers, being close, seems to indicate a factory replacement.  I know we discussed this, along with several examples, on another thread.

It's another example of the hundreds of thousands of gunto that we'd LOVE to study, but until someone, like you, posts them for all to see, they remain in the vast unknown.

@Stegel @Shamsy

• Thanks 2

Hello and thank you for the comments,

Nice to share information and hopefully prevent someone being “tucked up “ especially with the increased value . Some interesting points about the first model include for instance the hanging rings are 3.5 mm compared to the later 4.5 mm which may be a good indication the sword never revisited the arsenal  or workshop for update or repair....Also the tsuka has a pronounced “ kick” to it reminiscent of ancient tachi , a feature that does not seem to appear on first models..

Regards,

Paul..

8F0A72BD-573E-44DD-A526-296289344F00.jpeg

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

There is always some copper handle NCO sword on the market(2 on eBay right now), just need to find a fair price one. 

Just had a look on us eBay and yeah I can see them. 

(Results for bladed products aren't shown on UK ebay)

Will keep an eye on it thanks.

6 hours ago, Shamsy said:

soft copper material has bent.

I was going to joke that the owner must have had the crap scared out of him and his intense grip bent the tsuka!  Maybe I wasn't so far off!

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

ser# cut off number

@Shamsy and @Stegel can say with some assurance, but it's in the mid-6,000s.

• Thanks 1

Nice pick up Paul !

i noticed that the sarute barrel nut (which holds the handle to the blade) is actually a replacement.

Whether it was an Arsenal re-work, or field repair, or even post war replacement by someone wanting to see if there was a signature is almost impossible to tell.

The original barrel nuts were also made of copper.

Would you be able to post a photo of the drag please? (an overhead shot, not on the angle as your other photos)

It looks as if the brass plug is semi circular in appearance.

Stephen,  Dawsons book only lists #6561 as the highest 'observed' serial number, no photographic evidence unfortunately.

The source is unknown, however, he mentions {various sources but primarily Donald Barnes},   who also assisted Fuller & Gregory with their list.

His list also mentions the cross blade stamping of 501 (which is generally between the end of the bohi and the habiki) for this sword so i would be inclined to believe it is a real observation.  The earliest Aluminium handled sword i have observed is #6756, so to answer your question directly..... Bruce is on the mark, as the cut off is somewhere inbetween! :glee:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And by 7900 these transition models were done and the 'classical' Pattern 2 aluminium hilts with brass tsuba were in production. Might be a bit earlier too, but that's what I recall without double checking.

I actually got rid of my PC so it's a bit of a pain to find my old notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

Thank you for the information and comments....Some more photo’s attached and if anyone needs more just let me know..

Regards,

Paul..

C7CFE594-38F4-4872-9A47-F35F9194BB05.jpeg

26001EF5-D3BE-453C-9508-D3C533D4CBA7.jpeg

0A17E611-62EE-4C3C-84B9-AAA6D7328A76.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hello Bruce,

Thank you,.....altering it now....Knot is a replacement  I have had for years but very good quality....nearly all the nco knots I come across are really fragile so I just use this one for effect.

Regards,

Paul..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul griff said:

Hello Bruce,

Thank you,.....altering it now....Knot is a replacement  I have had for years but very good quality....nearly all the nco knots I come across are really fragile so I just use this one for effect.

Regards,

Paul..

I have tassels for all my swords but the sad thing is they mostly live in bags with their respective sword written on them so they don't degrade further :(

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..