Tachi Kake

7 minutes ago, Shugyosha said:

That is a nice one yeah, expensive though. think i would pay a third of that price

I've been looking for years for a nice maki-e kake, but haven't found any for sale which I really liked. Does anyone know of any contemporary maki-e artists who take commissions for work on kake?

I have a few ebony kake including a tachi kake like this:

tachi_kokutan.jpg

• Like 3

It's always the debate, do you spend the money on what is after all another work of art or save it for swords and stick them on anything you can.  Some beautiful examples on this thread which make the point.  Personally I don't think the one on Yamazakura is expensive but if you are looking for cheaper then here's one.

CIMG1070.thumb.JPG.9d5909a914ad1c0b77312c540e644233.JPG

All the best.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, I'd like to share a recent acquisition from a collector in San Francisco. I have seen plain, sturdy versions, but I haven't seen a large Katana Kake like this before with such extravagant inlaid lacquer and scenes of such artistic excellence. These are the pictures in the unrestored state; it required much care as several joints were separating and the shell flaking off, but it is now stable enough to display. I cannot imagine how long it took to craft this piece. The original wooden storage box was not included sadly, so no maker's name. Not something I know much about; any info is much appreciated. 

s-l1600 2.jpg

s-l1600-1 2.jpg

s-l1600-4 2.jpg

s-l1600-10 2.jpg

s-l1600-12 2.jpg

s-l1600-13 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..