Tachi Kake

No idea really, I think it's one of those things that once I see it I'll know if I want it

One of the reasons i wanted to see other people's or even ones that people really enjoy.

not a tachi kake but i love this 

735.jpg.ec0de09a237d7a5c3202515285cf18de.jpg

on the tachi kake front i'm really not sure, i like quite simple and elegant.

I don't know if one exists but the saya i would like to match it to has split grass stems under the lacquer. something with a similar motif would be nice

20211128183237_IMG_5179.thumb.JPG.aa8e308832b1584f2a9231df2ba34dbc.JPG

two_tachi-kake_sword_stands_edo-meiji_period124152-scaled.thumb.jpg.9a973ed4036e30fbcd133cca6a03a75e.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, vajo said:

I would not rest a sword in a tachi kake. Better is to store it on a normal kake if you want to present the sword. 

Hi Chris,

I store all my swords in sword bags in the dark and don't usually display them at all (except a single Gunto I have in my library) but would like to own an authentic Tachi Kake that I like the look of at some point. I'm more interested in seeing the variety that other members have 

ah that's a nice display, interesting to make a Tokonoma.

I have a small room in my library that i store them in but they're all in bags inside cases. Never got round to making them look nice, it's a fine line between what I want and what the wife says will happen :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Kamakura is famous for a style of carving and lacquer work; Kamakura-bori - when I lived there this was in the window of a local shop specializing in Kamakura-bori ware. I used to pass by about once a month and try to buy it but the owner said it was there for advertising and not for sale - he said I couldn't afford to have him carve another...

tachiKake.JPG

tachikake1.JPG

tachiKake2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 12/9/2021 at 11:08 AM, DTM72 said:

I plan on building one like this, using curved bamboo as the tail.

Dargonfly Tachi Kake.jpg

Never knew tachi kake came in such a variety of forms!

An attention-getting companion piece to the standard deer-antler katana kake might be a tachi kake made by articulating a deer spinal column, using the pelvis as the base, with its natural “cup” to hold the kashira…  

E9955701-8635-42A2-811D-FB0FBB009FD3.jpeg

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, Walter55 said:

This is mine, which I got years ago from a person here on the forum, whom I greet and thank because it is a beautiful piece.

Walter

katanakake'.jpg

I like this one very much.

We've had a number of these threads over the years. Mine has been up a few times before, and I might was well post it again.

-Signed and dated 1754 on the bottom.-

Spartan, which is more my aesthetic.

Nobukuni Project 006.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..