Gunto unseen unboxing

Lareon

So how I got the tsuka off in only 4 hours....

The nakago was very rusty and I think there was a small wooden shim or broken piece of wood in there too. It really wouldn't budge.

My fingers ache now.

I used the table method for a while and after an hour managed to get a few mm clearance. I wrapped the tsuba In the towel and used a rubber mallet to tap it over and over while using rubber gloves to hold the tsuka.

This got me enough to wedge a fork between the Seppa collar and the tsuba.

I wrapped.the fork in electrical tape so as not to damage any metal and used it to apply a lever force to the tsuka as gently as I could and did this all round this took a while but I couldn't see light in the mekugi ana anymore.

With a combination of this and running a little choji oil down between the fittings I could hear it moving slightly. I had to do this for a while. Even at the end it required a fair bit of force to get off.

Hope you guys enjoyed the adventure!

PXL_20211204_193724623.jpg

• Like 1

It gets more and more interesting. 

image.png.4d5bb23d5ad9a34754d6e4aef4ec9a15.png

I missed the shadow line above the hamon what is typical for showato. And i think i see the layers of steel and some activity. I don't think its showato. It looks like a nice sword.

image.png.8b6eb94481376a2eee7bdf6df8777999.png

I didn't find a Tadahiro named Showa Swordsmith in my books. Only the known linage of Tadahiro.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ROKUJURO said:

Do I see TOBIYAKI in the HAMON? That would not be found in SHOWATO I think.

The blade has damage from somekind of fluid or chemical that won't come off with isopropyl or after an oiling. 

In one or two of the shots it looks the same as the hamon

1 hour ago, vajo said:

It gets more and more interesting. 

image.png.4d5bb23d5ad9a34754d6e4aef4ec9a15.png

I missed the shadow line above the hamon what is typical for showato. And i think i see the layers of steel and some activity. I don't think its showato. It looks like a nice sword.

image.png.8b6eb94481376a2eee7bdf6df8777999.png

I didn't find a Tadahiro named Showa Swordsmith in my books. Only the known linage of Tadahiro.

Interesting. I'll take some photos of the metal and blade tomorrow. See if I can capture some more information

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..