Thoughts on Dos XX's???

Sunny

4 minutes ago, vajo said:

:shock: is this a Japanese sword or some late night emergency version?

I'm questioning the fittings for sure ...I hardly know anything about WW2 swords or the fittings except for a few smiths.

I wanted to know if anyone has seen the XX before because from what I have read so far the markings on WW2 swords can be a mix of numbers ...symbols ...dashes....ect.

116798292_6_x.thumb.jpg.61d8434df554d4719063c61e58260bba.jpg

32 minutes ago, vajo said:

Sorry i cant say nothing to it. For me it looks like stuff from a mad max movie after the apocalypse.

I saw only the crude nakago, thats why i ask for.

I recently seen similar fittings in the movie Zombieland 2

• Like 1

Sunny,  from the scant pics posted the saya/combat cover appears to be genuine (to me) and by the ito binding and mix of military and 'civilian' pieces on the tsuka, (and I'm going out on a limb here)....maybe an island sword BUT....those two crosses on the tang are real turn off anything genuine in terms of the blade... two wrongs don't make a right :rotfl:

Or on the other hand, they are so crude and clearly not trying to copy anything resembling a Japanese smith, they may just be period island manufacture.

Any more pics of the bare blade full length both sides?

Rob

16 minutes ago, robinalexander said:

Sunny,  from the scant pics posted the saya/combat cover appears to be genuine (to me) and by the ito binding and mix of military and 'civilian' pieces on the tsuka, (and I'm going out on a limb here)....maybe an island sword BUT....those two crosses on the tang are real turn off anything genuine in terms of the blade... two wrongs don't make a right :rotfl:

Or on the other hand, they are so crude and clearly not trying to copy anything resembling a Japanese smith, they may just be period island manufacture.

Any more pics of the bare blade full length both sides?

Rob

116798292_11_x.thumb.jpg.f8fbbd4806be7957353e475734f76b62.jpg116798292_1_x.thumb.jpg.7742490439be9c5dbcce8f96ba9a7d0e.jpg116798292_2_x-1.jpg.715b5602af0726979a269b18de26bc0d.jpg116798292_8_x.thumb.jpg.6e23357250444a43ee974412422e7137.jpg

1 hour ago, robinalexander said:

Could be right Chris...in any event, while I do collect a few orphans, personally I would pass on this one.

Rob

Thanks for the comments ....I was never thinking to purchase.

Just wanted to know about the double XX and it gave me a chance to make a cheesy joke with the old beer commercial.

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with all the above.  At best, it's an island-made sword, at worst a fake.  Never seen the "XX" before.  My gut feel is the fakers just put random stuff on the nakago to sucker unsuspecting rookie buyers.  I'm not a Japanese linguist, but don't think it's Japanese.  There are other guys who know some of the S.E. Asian languages that may be able to comment on that possibility.

My one time personal experience with a faked leather saya cover - it's really thin and cheap.  Looks better in pictures than in hand.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..