Canadian tsuba collectors? How many are on NMB?

GRC

Hi everyone. I'm just curious to get a sense of how many Canadians collect tsuba (either starting to collect, are actively collecting, or have already built up a collection).

The polite Canadian and other myths – The Varsityimage.thumb.png.6b8144ccc71874da3aac9d196c7cae62.png not my tsuba btw, saw it on YahooJ.

Feel free to just say "hi" and what province you're in.

If you're an ex-pat, feel free to mention where you're at now.

Hi, I collect tsuba and I'm in Ontario :)

...why does that suddenly sound like some sort of AA meeting intro?

Although, tsuba collecting could easily be classified as an addiction.

• Like 1

Hi Glen,

I live in Aurora, ON. I am new to the world of Nihonto and fittings, but I do have a small collection of Tsuba. Right now I only have four. I will certainly be acquiring more in the future. I just picked up an addition to my collection this past Saturday at a meeting of the JCCC Token Kai.  The Ginger Flower tsuba is new to me, the horse tsuba is my favourite so far.

09555258-E16F-4FC4-976B-9A7E19F3540D.thumb.jpeg.f1ae8935547c0f955ab77b09e4f074ce.jpegtsuba.thumb.jpg.4ba08b68ac7c80a8c648af9e7d6f7e39.jpg

Your ginger tsuba may reference this from my site; 

The Japanese word for ginger 茗荷 in romanji, myouga, has as an homophone the word that means 'protection of god' and is also the symbol of Madarashin, emancipation of worldly desire.

middle of page here; New Page 7 (johnstuart.biz)

• Thanks 1

Charles:  I am afraid your Horses are actually Squirrels. There is another version [utsushi] here:  https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/592856738422229900/

Though to be truthful the heads on yours do look more horse-like. [Artistic license?]  (Sorry to intrude, I am as far from Canada as you can get ! :offtopic:)

image.png.5736b987ab87b4f28cf19040c66bece4.pngimage.png.2435f1486e6aaae180fb55b7022efa13.png

best cheap EXCELLENT Certificated Tsuba Squirrel Japanese Edo 17-18thC  Samurai Antique C623 for sale UK -trjcompanylimited.com

https://www.ultimform.top/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_10&products_id=10214

This is a spurious site, so don't try buying anything from them, it is a con - but I am sure they won't mind me stealing their stolen image!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

Charles:  I am afraid your Horses are actually Squirrels. 

Interesting. They were identified as horses by the seller and I never looked past the description to see anything else. Thanks for the clarification. I think I might even like them better now. Thank you for enlightening me!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

after all how many foxes do you see amongst grape vines?

There is the famous fable of the Fox and the Grapes, but as I recall, the fox never actually made it to the grapes and gave up without getting any. They were probably sour anyway.

• Like 2

Dear Charles,

there is still Phillip K. from our´s old Tosogu Forum. I think.

(If he did not settle...?)...last time i did correspond was in Yelloknife...

If he reads, he hopefully will recontact as he is still online.....

not many Canadians i am aware about.....the others are on the bug...there are some here on this forum.

French speaking- ? i do not know.....

Cheers!

Chris

Not as many as I hoped, but so far we have:

Ontario:

Glen (me)

Barry Hennick

Charles K.

North West Territories:

John A Stuart

Phillip K. (from "the old forum")

?

Christian (Chris) Malterre: currently in Germany but I presume is originally from Quebec or somewhere in France? 

Honorary Canucks:

Stephen - for being the first one to respond lol

Dale - for helping us distinguish between the types of Canadian squirrel :thumbsup: The fact that you're on the complete opposite side of the World to us, also gets you the "honorary Canadian" badge.

There is a club in  Toronto at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre, where we have meetings. Whenever, I see a Canadian on nmb I send them a pm providing some information on the club. If they show interest I add them to our email list. I  also send them some recent emails sent to members. At our first meeting since the start of the pandemic we had two new file come to the meeting.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..