Sword found at resale store

xreflections

46 minutes ago, xreflections said:

Sorry for the delay. I still haven't been able to get dismantled, but the blade is 1/2 clean now. I'm going to call a place that offers classes in Japanese swordsmanship, and see if they might be able to help me dismantle it. 

Yeah we should be able to walk you through it. 

1. Make sure the mekugi (peg) is fully out.

2. As Stephen says . Can you see through the hole? Make sure there isn't a sliver of broken peg or something.

3. Try holding the tsuka (handle) and pressing your thumbs against the tsuba (hand guard) then extending them so your pushing against it while holding the tsuka. 

The mechanical force should move the tsuka away from the tsuba.

4. If it moves a small amount you can probably then remove it by hand. 

5. (PS don't try and use any lubricants like wd40) 

The peg is completely removed; I can see the hole in its entirety. The tsuba wiggles a little if I press against it, and each time I tried the tapping method by gripping the sword and striking my wrist, I heard a soft metal clang like it was going to come loose, but it didn't. 

For particularly resistant handles I wrap the blade carefully in a large towel so it can be held firmly (obviously be very careful and logical about this). Then holding the blade vertically, with a book or padded piece wood, tap each side of the Tsuba until the handle slowly comes away, letting the weight of the book and gravity do the work.

• Like 2

Always make sure there isn't a second peg at the bottom of the handle. There shouldn't be, and doesn't look like there is one...but best to check.
Also sometimes helps to get a second person to press in the catch at the same time, in case the tsuba is really tight and catching, and the button catch isn't the thing preventing movement.
Using wood/towels/books...there is little chance of damaging anything so repeated and regular taps will get results.

• Like 1

Striking your wrist is not the process for a sword that's been sitting around for x amount of years that's for shirasaya and swords that have been cared for when undergoing maintenance. If it's giving you that much pause maybe you should wait for somebody who knows what they're doing.

I came across that sarute barrel second hole in the tip of the tang many years ago....unfortunately, I tapped the hilt off a bit too much and by the time I noticed this second hole, I had badly cracked/split/messed up the same/binding etc...dang!!!!

Very rare, but if a hilt doesn't come off with a few taps...always check this....just saying. I learned the hard way.

• Like 1

I didn’t want to state the obvious so as not to come across as talking down to the OP, but now that it has been mentioned… you usually (unless very loose) DO need to hold the button down when trying to remove the blade.  It may be the reason the tsuba is loose and you hear the rattling noise, but blade is not coming out?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smee78 said:

The cosmoline could of crept down into the handle area and then resolidified. You may need to place the sword in the sun for a while for it to warm up to get things loose? 

This. You can be surprised where cosmoline can work itself into. I've had a very nice carbine Mosin-Nagant that was packed in the stuff years ago and I still find cosmoline in the deepest recesses when fully disassembled.

We're a funny bunch trying to be patient waiting for the other shoe to drop, will we see  that nakago?

For someone like myself who can't buy anymore I live in vicarious pulling the nakago to find what's there!! The thrill of the find or let down of oh well..lol

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..