Japanese flea market treasure hunt

Hi everyone,

I felt kind of lonely the last two years in Japan. No Daitokenichi, no friends being able to come... Now it seems Japan closes its borders again!

That's why I would like to invite you to go on a treasure hunt with me, let's see what the Japanese flea markets offer.

I will go on Sunday 5th to Tomioka Hachimangu and try to take pictures of any Kodogu related items they offer. If anyone is interested to join virtually, here is a link to the telegram channel.

Everyone in Japan who wants to join me is very welcome as well!

https://t.me/+1JKJ01sQGZcyMWI1

If you like to buy any item, I will take a 10 % service charge plus shipping. Please let me know if you found the link on the NMB so that I can make a 20 % donation of the profit.

See you on the market!

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul,
this is really a great idea! 
I would love to walk through a Japanese flea market again. The last time I went to the Kawagoe Antique Market was in April 2019 and I actually found a nice tsuba quite cheap.
Good luck and most of all have fun on Sunday!

Maybe you post some photos for all who can't be there "live".

With a few nice photos of the flea market, you can dream of Japan again at home...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, sabiji said:

Hi Paul,
this is really a great idea! 
I would love to walk through a Japanese flea market again. The last time I went to the Kawagoe Antique Market was in April 2019 and I actually found a nice tsuba quite cheap.
Good luck and most of all have fun on Sunday!

Maybe you post some photos for all who can't be there "live".

With a few nice photos of the flea market, you can dream of Japan again at home...

Hi Thomas,

yes I will use the Telegram group to post the pictures live on the day. Will be there between 9 am and 5 pm JST. So around 1 am to 9 am german time if you like to stay up late or get up early :)

Actually I considered a live stream, but this only makes sense if enough people are interested.

For everyone who cannot join via telegram, I will also drop some pictures here afterwards!

• Thanks 1

Hello Paul,

It’s a shame that you have just joined the forum. I was attending antique fairs in Tokyo for the past two years (at least two fairs a week), but recently moved to Kyushu (where there are a lot more swords at temple markets). I always found Tomioka to be a bit hit and miss. The tosogu was mostly lower end and over priced (when I was last there), but there was one good dealer (who is always at the Yurakucho International Forum fair), who has some good quality items. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kyushukairu said:

Hello Paul,

It’s a shame that you have just joined the forum. I was attending antique fairs in Tokyo for the past two years (at least two fairs a week), but recently moved to Kyushu (where there are a lot more swords at temple markets). I always found Tomioka to be a bit hit and miss. The tosogu was mostly lower end and over priced (when I was last there), but there was one good dealer (who is always at the Yurakucho International Forum fair), who has some good quality items. 

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the tipp! I haven't been to Tomioka myself yet, let's see what's there. Would love to hunt together sometime, Kyushu is admittedly quite far. Do you wanna join the telegram?

I work at a university in Tokyo, and go back every now and then for conferences and events, so I’ll let you know when I’m next there and we can check out some fairs together. Let me know if you decide to visit Kyushu. There aren’t as many collectors to compete with and I’ve been able to pick up some nice Higo and Satsuma tosogu down here. Sure. I’ll join the telegram. It will be nice to see what’s on offer at Tomioka now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul_tsuba_info said:

Will be there between 9 am and 5 pm JST. So around 1 am to 9 am german time if you like to stay up late or get up early :)

Hi Paul,
hahaha, I'm afraid by this time Sunday I'll be in my cozy, warm bed!
But here already a picture from Kawagoe to tune in for Sunday....
Good luck!!!

Kawa9_autoscaled.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabiji said:

Hi Paul,
hahaha, I'm afraid by this time Sunday I'll be in my cozy, warm bed!
But here already a picture from Kawagoe to tune in for Sunday....
Good luck!!!

Kawa9_autoscaled.jpg

Oh nice, Kawagoe is on 8th again. I will try to go there as well. Ok sure, don't forget to put your phone to silent mode ;)

Hi Robert,

I will go there from around 9 am JST on Sunday.

That would be Saturday around 7 pm New York and 4 pm San Francisco.

Depending on the offer there I will stay for some hours and maybe move on to the market in Setagaya in the afternoon.

I will try to get the dealers contact addresses, so if you cannot be online during that time, you could send me requests for any items later as well.

I will post the pictures live through telegram here:

Hi treasure hunters,

Thanks again to everybody who joined, I have uploaded several pictures on facebook as here it would overrun the file size limit.

https://fb.me/e/2ex17pWCK

Overall I was positively surprised how open all the dealers were regarding me taking pictures of the items. I also made one new friend it seems, the guy who had the blades, as he was very kind explaining what he knew. Also shared his lunch with me even though I tried to insist not to.

Looking forward to our next hunt together!

Cheers

Paul

20211205_003840025_iOS.jpg

20211205_002953744_iOS.heic

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After looking on the Facebook page I tried to describe the one I was interested in - difficult!

I then realised that I could right click the image and copy the link, then when messaging Paul I pasted the link

I thought it would just show the link but it pasted the image which was even better

14 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

That would have been interesting to see! Unfortunately, I am not on FACEBOOK, and I cannot join TELEGRAM.

Hi Jean, happy that you would like to join. I am thinking of other channels, but currently these two seem to be the best ones to use from my phone when on the market. Telegram is also available for desktop if the smartphone app is an issue for you.

Hello Treasure hunters,

On 12th December I will go to the Flea market at the international forum close to Tokyo station which is well-known for hosting several antique dealers.

Let's see what's there to find this time!

For all of you who had trouble joining telegram, I have created a Facebook group and will try to post there as well. Might be a bit delayed vs. Telegram though. Best technical solution still to be found I guess.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/434768394971014/

I hope to see many of you there.

Happy hunting!

Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Treasure hunters,

Time has come again for a new hunt!!!

On 4th of March I will go to the Antique market at heiwajima. I expect much more items and definitely a higher quality than on the flea markets. I very much hope that the dealers there will let me take pictures as well.

This is actually a three day event, so I will consider going on 5th and 6th as well, depending on your requests. For those of you in Europe, I will consider going on Saturday afternoon to make up for the time zone.

Again you can join live via Telegram.

For all of you who had trouble joining telegram, I have created a Facebook group and will try to post there as well. Might be a bit delayed vs. Telegram though. Best technical solution still to be found I guess.

If you wanna contact me during the fair, telegram would be the best, but Facebook messenger also works. If none of those work, imessage is a valid alternative. Contact me for details.

Happy hunting!

Paul

antiquemarket treasure hunt.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 8:47 PM, paul_tsuba_info said:

Hello Treasure hunters,

On 4th of March I will go to the Antique market at heiwajima. I expect much more items and definitely a higher quality than on the flea markets. I very much hope that the dealers there will let me take pictures as well.

This is actually a three day event, so I will consider going on 5th and 6th as well, depending on your requests. For those of you in Europe, I will consider going on Saturday afternoon to make up for the time zone.

Again you can join live via Telegram.

If you wanna contact me during the fair, telegram would be the best, but Facebook messenger also works. If none of those work, imessage is a valid alternative. Contact me for details.

Happy hunting!

Paul

antiquemarket treasure hunt.jpg

POSTPONED TO 3rd of May due to Covid19

Hello Treasure hunters,

On 13th of March I will go to the Tokyo international forum antique market. Again you can join live via Telegram.

If you wanna contact me during the fair, telegram would be the best, but Facebook messenger also works. If none of those work, iMessage is a valid alternative. Contact me for details.

Happy hunting!

Paul

• Like 2

Hi there, sorry I didn't see it earlier. It is really difficult to find the right media for this format it seems. For me the Telegram channel is really the most direct and easiest to do this and I would hope that it is usable by most people with a smart phone. However, recently Telegram's reputation suffered quite a bit which is a pity and I understand that people might avoid using it due to these issues.
If anyone has a good idea for alternatives let me know.
I hope next time you have a chance to join.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..