Shirasaya waxing

I have two shirasaya that seem a bit dry on the outside. One has sayagaki that I'm concerned may fade.

I understand that applying a thin coat of ibota is the traditional approach, though I'd like to avoid a mail order from Namikawa.  Anyway... I have 3 questions:

1. How is ibota applied -- you basically put the powder in a cloth and rub vigorously?

2. Does applying wax risk messing up the sayagaki?

3. Are there more easily available alternatives to ibota? Rennaissance Wax? I suspect pure beeswax might be the most acceptable substitute, but I'm equally unclear as the ibota as to how it might be applied.

Hi Joe,

I haven't heard of waxing shirasaya. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen or shouldn't be done but it may not be very common. The wood of the shirasaya is as dry or moist as it wants to be in its environment and that will have no effect on the saya-gaki. UV in sunlight, however, will fade the saya-gaki. If you want to preserve the saya-gaki keep your sword in a sword bag, which is where all good Nihonto belong.

If you want the shirasaya on display, maybe a good quality UV blocking glass should be in front of it.

Grey

2 hours ago, Grey Doffin said:

Hi Joe,

I haven't heard of waxing shirasaya. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen or shouldn't be done but it may not be very common. The wood of the shirasaya is as dry or moist as it wants to be in its environment and that will have no effect on the saya-gaki. UV in sunlight, however, will fade the saya-gaki. If you want to preserve the saya-gaki keep your sword in a sword bag, which is where all good Nihonto belong.

If you want the shirasaya on display, maybe a good quality UV blocking glass should be in front of it.

Grey

The sword is in a bag and in a gun safe, so no UV damage. My concern about the sayagaki comes from handling it every once in a while.

1 hour ago, O koumori said:

I believe that traditionally, the shirasaya is "waxed" using Ibota powder, secretion of the Cicada. It is applied to the wood using Uzukuri, a bundled fiber brush.

Ibota is also used as a burnishing lubricant during sword polishing.

Dan K.

Yes, I understand that part. But I'm still not clear on the application and more importantly whether there are substitutes.

Previous discussion here touches on this subject, but I'm looking for more details.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..