Is this Yasutsugu real or fake?

eric-t

Leave it as it is.  As per the mei on all big name swords, whether good or bad, " The blade will tell you(before) if it's good or bad. Your blade is not near top quality. In fact, the mei is impressive, but gimei.  The habaki is quite nice.  It still is a complete attractive package. 

• Like 1

Brian is in Washington, Jimmy is in San Francisco.

John has a point, the sword is in good shape now. If you wanted to get the signature removed and submit for shinsa in Japan you'll need an agent. I would contact Keichodo on this board he can walk you thru the steps and potential costs...

-t

Whilst the sword is probably gimei ,I think , it would be foolish to remove the mei before you send it to shinsa . There are twelve generations of Yasutsugu so you never know what a Shinsa panel might say . I also think it would be equally foolish to get this repolished . The current polish looks good and a new polish would only be warranted if the mei was genuine . You will never get your polish money back on an unsigned shinto piece where some wally has messed around with both sides of the nakago. Also , unless you have this polished by a Japanese trained polisher then the chances are high that the polish you get back will be worse than what is there now. You have a nice piece take your own advice and leave it alone..

Ian Brooks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Considering most gimei were done at the time of manufacture, and not just for devious purposes...I maintain that unless necessary, the current state is the original state. And therefore removing the mei, and manipulating the tang and patina makes it less original and more altered.
But at the end of the day, it's your decision and money.

• Like 2

I really appreciate all the positive feedback about the sword and encouragement to keep it as is. I would honestly love to keep to keep it as is and avoid all the trouble. 

But man, what Thomas had said about the mon really resonated and stuck with me. Not to mention the somewhat obvious falso mei, the botched attempt of making an aoi mon really bothers me about the nakago. 

On 11/29/2021 at 7:14 PM, Toryu2020 said:

As you suspected the mon is also an indicator, any insult to the shogun was punishable by death, so the Yasutsugu smiths would never let any mon out of their shop that was less than perfect...

I agree and this may be a bit of an exaggeration but it does feel like a crime and embarassment to own the sword with that mon. Keeping it as is just feels dishonorable to the Tokugawa name. I am in fact Japanese so it does weigh on me to a certain level. Leaving the nakago as is would be much easier to swallow if it wasn't for that mon.

To be honest, I am also seeking feedback from Mike Yamasaki (The appraiser from Pawn Stars, if you don't know). His feedback will probably be the biggest influence on what I decide to do. He hasn't gotten back to me yet after sending the second email today. He did respond to my brother, however, about his sword he inherited in somewhat of a timely manner (Yes, we both got a sword from our grandfather. However, his sword is mumei). So I am hoping he responds to finalize my decision on what to do with it. 

Again, thanks for the feedback assuring me that I have a good sword with a quality polish. Since this has been my addiction as of late, I am happy to discuss my sword with you all and reading your input.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..