Nidai Yamakichibei

Steve Waszak

The Nidai Yamakichibei is famous for his exceptionally strong tsuchime and expressive uchikaeshi mimi, both of which stand out beautifully on this mutsu mokko-gata iron tsuba.  These elements are signature features of his work, representing a unique aesthetic within the Yamakichibei group of smiths.  The iron here is extremely well worked, with profuse tekkotsu creating a subtly textured rim surface.  The motif and design is one the Nidai is well known for, and which he has used on a small handful of guards.  It includes the katabami (oxalis) blossom at the upper-right on the omote, and an "I-beam" shaped sukashi just below the hitsu-ana, whose meaning I am not sure of.  Udenuki-ana in the classic Nidai manner -- one large, one small, placed tightly together -- complete the apertures surrounding the nakago-ana.  

The Nidai Yamakichibei worked in Owari during the late-Momoyama Period to the earliest years of the Edo Period, creating powerful tsuba strongly informed by the Tea taste of the Tea Master Furuta Oribe.  His works are esteemed as among the greatest iron sword guards in Japanese history:  within the Yamakichibei group of tsubako, it is the Nidai who has the most Juyo tsuba, with five.  His work is not frequently encountered.

The tsuba measures 7.5cm x 7.3cm, and is 5mm at the mimi, approximately 2 - 2.5mm at the nakago-ana.  An outstanding tsuba.  $2,400 plus shipping. 

Nidai Yamakichibei, mutsu mokko gata1.jpg

Nidai Yamakichibei mutsu mokko gata2.jpg

Nidai Yamakichibei mutsu mokko gata3.jpg

Nidai Yamakichibei mutsu mokko gata4.jpg

Nidai Yamakichibei mutsu mokko gata5.jpg

Nidai Yamakichibei mutsu mokko gata6.jpg

Nidai Yamakichibei mei, mutsu mokko gata.jpg

Nidai Yamakichibei mimi.jpg

A few additional photos...along with a black and white photo of a famous, published Nidai Yamakichibei sword guard of the same design.  I'll leave this posting up over the weekend.  For any who are seriously interested in acquiring a high-end iron tsuba made by one of the great Momoyama masters, this is your chance.  After this weekend, I'll be withdrawing the posting...

Nidai YamakichibeiC.jpg

Nidai YamakichibeiD.jpg

Nidai YamakichibeiA.jpg

Nidai YamakichibeiB.jpg

IMG_5973-383x400.jpg

Archived