Japanese writing on inside of Jingasa

werdna

Hello,I appreciate the translation of the previous item I listed.I have a Japanese Jingasa which has a lot of writing on the inside which I would really like translated and if possible can anyone tell me if it is genuine and if its genuine approximately its age or era as I know nothing about except that I bought it from a seller in Japan on Ebay who had good feedback and comments that his items are good quality and genuine.I apologise for the variable quality of the photo's but as the inside of the jingasa is concave this was the best I good get

regards

Andrew Freeston

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

Hello Andrew,

from the pictures you have provided I would conclude a real Jingasa! 
First glance the writing looks Japanese but a bit odd. Second view suggests that it could be reused washi. Not uncommon with Japanese armor parts. So I think it has nothing to do with the helmet itself…..just a thought?!

• Like 1

Hello,thank you for your help,I didn't know that jingasa could contain re-used paper.I've had a look at a translator and it wasn't particularly helpful(when I joined this group I had to answer a translation of Nihonto and it said that is ''Japan and'')so after awhile I guessed it was ''sword'' so can you tell me what ''washi'' and if different what ''urushi'' is.I'm very happy its genuine.I have attached 2 photographs of the helmet,is it possible for you to say the age/period it is from or if its a later imitation as I have no reference books on Japanese arms and armour as I collect Japanese Gunpowder flasks and I bought 1 jingasa and 1 musket to round out and put into perspective my powderflask collection(I still need ashigaru armour to complete this),also is it possible to ID the mon and the purpose/period/reason the gold ''3 legged'' picture was painted on the crown

regards

Andrew

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

Well Andrew, sequentially:

Washi is Japanese paper and urushi is the term for Japanese lacquer. 
Timewise, I would place your jingasa in the latter Edo period. With a shape between hira- and toppai-nari.

The peak of your kabuto is adorned with 3 stylized ken (straight double edged sword).

Now it becomes tricky. The mon is called “maru ni katabami” (oxalis in a ring). It’s very difficult, if not impossible, to pin down the right family. Here a brief selection of clans that comes into question; Atarashi, Morikawa, Tōdō etc.

There might be a connection between the ken motive and the mon (relation to Sakai?), but that is another topic….

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..