Inherited unsigned sword, any information welcome

GeorgeLuucas

I think it would be a good candidate for a polish. Nice length, ubu, unsigned, but that also means there's no fake signature that you have to deal with. Anyway, nicer than a lot of our first swords... we all start out with not a lot of knowledge, and as a result we end up buying crap swords. This isn't a crap sword, so you are already ahead of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, SteveM said:

I think it would be a good candidate for a polish. Nice length, ubu, unsigned, but that also means there's no fake signature that you have to deal with. Anyway, nicer than a lot of our first swords... we all start out with not a lot of knowledge, and as a result we end up buying crap swords. This isn't a crap sword, so you are already ahead of the game. 

I plan to save up the money to have it polished. It's sentimental value makes it well worth it to me. Having it in such bad shape drives me crazy, and I've spent so much time trying to observe the Boshi and just cant quite see it. 

Thanks again! I appreciate the kind words about my sword

George, I am happy for you that you have made a decision on it.  I expect that after having a new saya and habaki made, and getting a professional polish (best done in Japan in my opinion), it is likely to be a very beautiful sword and a nice family heirloom.  I recommend that you get NBTHK papers after polish if you have the work done in Japan.

You don't seem to have any expectations that it is a good financial decision, but your attachment of sentimental value makes this a useful and valuable exercise.  

I do hope that along the way you will learn how to care for it well, as a fully polished blade needs considerable care.  Depending on whether you live in a humid environment, or near a body of salt water, you may have to clean and oil it annually or even more frequently.  There are useful discussions on NMB as to the best way to care for it.

This has been a great success, as you sought help from the right group, you processed the information you received well, and you made a very reasonable decision.  Even the "expert" that you sent it to gave you the same advice, so I presume they are a knowledgable person.  Was it somebody that you found through NMB?  

Best wishes, and please post some photos after the restoration is done.  

• Like 3

On 5/15/2022 at 1:25 PM, Surfson said:

George, I am happy for you that you have made a decision on it.  I expect that after having a new saya and habaki made, and getting a professional polish (best done in Japan in my opinion), it is likely to be a very beautiful sword and a nice family heirloom.  I recommend that you get NBTHK papers after polish if you have the work done in Japan.

You don't seem to have any expectations that it is a good financial decision, but your attachment of sentimental value makes this a useful and valuable exercise.  

I do hope that along the way you will learn how to care for it well, as a fully polished blade needs considerable care.  Depending on whether you live in a humid environment, or near a body of salt water, you may have to clean and oil it annually or even more frequently.  There are useful discussions on NMB as to the best way to care for it.

This has been a great success, as you sought help from the right group, you processed the information you received well, and you made a very reasonable decision.  Even the "expert" that you sent it to gave you the same advice, so I presume they are a knowledgable person.  Was it somebody that you found through NMB?  

Best wishes, and please post some photos after the restoration is done.  

Thank you again for the advice and kind words. I hope to have it polished and papered after I save a little money. I will definitely post back here whenever I have that done. (Might be a little while). 

I responded to Surfsans question about the expert I sent my sword to in a private message. I didn’t want to post his name publicly, just incase he didn’t want me to. If you’re curious, id be happy to answer any questions about that in a private message. 

Thanks again everyone!

cheers! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..