Fittings on my sword. Seeking any information

GeorgeLuucas

Hello, first time poster here.

I inherited a sword, and I'm trying to learn everything I can about it. I know the fittings can change throughout the lifetime of the blade, but I still think they're interesting in their own right, and I would like to learn about them. I've been reading a lot about Nihonto's and am slowly starting to grasp the vocabulary and terminology. It's become a hobby that I'm enjoying learning about. 

Attached are some photos, and I'd love to learn anything I can about the tsuba, tsuka, and these fittings. I know the condition is not ideal, I wish it were maintained better before I acquired it. Before I acquired it, the saya had been spray painted gold... Over the years it has flaked off thankfully, but remnants remain on the decorative cap at the end of the saya. Any advice on removal would be appreciated, or even if I should bother attempting. I will be posting more photos of the blade in the Nihonto forum soon. 

Thank you all for your time,

sword.jpeg

IMG_8183.jpg

IMG_8184.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_8159.jpg

scabbard.jpeg

handle.jpeg

IMG_8148.jpg

• Like 1

I would gently oil the blade with very thin layer of a non-abrasive oil (Choji oil is traditionally preferred) and do nothing else, be sure to only oil the blade portion and not the nakago (tang). The fittings look pretty decent! Besides more pictures of the blade, some close-ups of the metal fittings would be helpful. I would leave any restoration work to a professional since they'll have the knowledge and skills to do it properly. Other members will chime in with more advice on what you can do regarding that soon.

The menuki on this sword looks like a black mouse on a ear of corn, on the other side it's a brass colored mouse on an ear of corn.

Am I correct in assuming that this wrap and menuki must have been done in the 1800's or later? I didn't think corn was readily available in Japan until later. Could this menuki be depicting a mouse on something else? 

Sam, Millet was often used as a motif on sword fittings but I think in this case it is definitely corn. Corn was first introduced to Japan by the Portuguese in 1579, in Nagasaki or Shikoku, and was originally called nanban-morokoshi. Shakudo [black alloy of copper and gold] mouse.

Your tsuba is a Ko-sukashi  [sukashi, limited in size and in negative silhouette] with a single Sakura [Cherry blossom]. Sakura could also be a family Mon [heraldic symbol - so possibly also seen as a Mon-sukashi] the plate surface is done in Amida-yasuri [radiating lines, often known as the halo of the Amida Buddha]

51 minutes ago, sabi said:

"The sukashi element is an oxalis (wood sorrel) IMO.  While he doesn't have anything to do with the tsuba in question, the Nidai Yamakichibei regularly used this motif."

Thank you so much! That's very interesting and gives me a lot to look into. I really like the simplicity and elegance of my Tsuba, I feel fortunate to have it on my sword. 

Thanks!

The SUKASHI cut-out looks more like a KATABAMI flower to me. The surface of the TSUBA is covered with AMIDA YASURIME. 

You can clean your TSUBA with hot water and the toothbrush of your wife, then dry it immediately after cleaning with household paper. After drying completely, you should apply some non-hardening oil (CAMELLIA or so), which should then be wiped off with paper. 

Enjoy your sword and go slow with all attemps of restoration!

• Haha 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..