Handachi - I recently Picked up

Lareon

I think you have given solid advice Franco. I just wanted that Tony would not feel too negative about the sword if it would happen to have a flaw or two. As he has mentioned several times he has been collecting just few years so far.

I have a sword that has severe problems with boshi and I am perfectly ok with it. I do agree with your thoughts Franco that it is an important thing to consider as it will affect many things when collecting is considered. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 10:43 PM, dkirkpatrick said:

I have to disagree that the presence of boshi should dictate what is done.  I think its pretty obvious that its going to be pretty close and probaby hard to say in this present polish.  The idea that an elegant piece like  this would not be sent for polish when hundreds of mumei shinto “also ran”  wakizashis are is simply beyond me.  If you didnt make a single cent on this sword when the smoke clears you will have preserved something of real significance and that would be something to be incredibly proud of regardless.  Easy to speak so freely about someone elses money but I do hope you get this restored so you may see all she has to reveal, best of luck to you and please keep us posted!

Doug

Hi,

peoples opinions on the boshi differ ?wether its important or not some swords are so nice with very little or no boshi left you can't let them fall by the wayside, one of my favourite blades the boshi is very close to the edge which considering how old it is and the service it has seen pherhaps normal and its better imo preserved than not.

MarkN83-14.thumb.jpg.d144e3d937e0f771cd62fe3c3b0de016.jpg only just hangs on.

N83-13.jpg

N83-15.jpg

N83-3.jpg

N83-10.jpg

• Like 3

Well an update I spoke to Paul Martin recently about having the sword polished by Abe Kazunori but currently he is not facilitating polishing or papering at the moment due to covid.  So I will wait a little while for that.

In February I have a few people from To-Ken GB taking a look so I will know more. I'm hoping a more seasoned eye will be able to confirm the boshi. From what I believe I see it is shallow and has no turn back. Extending to the end of the blade

Just a quick update for you all

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..