Yokoyama Sukenaga Katana for opinion

I’m interested to get some opinions on this blade. I’m wanting to focus on collecting some swords from the Yokoyama school after recently buying one in Gunto koshirae and being prompted to study their work/history. It has been for sale for quite some time now. 

It has a lot of features I like: over 27”, bohi, deep sori, well known shin-Shinto smith, chrysanthemum and ichi, papers, koshirae, shirasaya, and interesting hamon. 

However, I wonder if it is overpriced for receiving NBTHK Hozon. It has sat unsold for quite some time. I’m guessing, but I imagine this was submitted for TH and didn’t receive it or perhaps it never was. Is the Koshirae original and of outstanding quality to warrant the price? 

This new vector in my collecting will be a substantial financial jump so I’m comparing many Yokoyama blades to find the perfect one for me. Thanks, Nate. 

https://www.aoijapan.com/katanayokoyama-kagasuke-fujiwara-ason-sukenaga/

https://www.aoijapan.com/katanayokoyama-kagasuke-fujiwara-ason-sukenaga/

I think it’s this one. Those random tobiyaki put me off - they look accidental rather than deliberate. Maybe that is what put people off. Also its a bit of an odd hamon in general and perhaps being out of keeping with the choji that you would expect to see from this smith has had an impact. 

I’d probably hang fire and wait for one in his usual work style. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Nathan.  It's an interesting sword, and has much to like about it for collectors of shinshinto makers.  Sukenaga is arguably one of the two best of the Yokoyama Bizen school (there  is an Art and the Sword article about them I think).  The mounts are nice too.  The seppa are interesting thick ones, presumably in gold foil.  The tsuba looks like Umetada to me.  The mounts on the saya and tsuka appear to be en suite; it looks very black like shakudo on the saya, but the tsuka makes me think that they are all silver with some sort of black patina applied.  The activity on the sword is unusual for Sukenaga, including a "jewel" (I guess) near the kissaki, a long stretch of suguha, the typical Sukenaga choji/gonome, and what looks like a rendering of Fujisan.  As Tsuruta san, or his associates, describe the hamon:  "This blade is called Fujimi Saigyo which means Mt Fuji and other mountains and also Miho Matsubara(it is beautiful see side contrast of Matsu trees and seaside)The sentry from the view from the point(Miho Matsubara) Mt Fuji is excellent scenery.

If it has been on the site for a long time (it is possible to tell by the serial number of the sale, though I don't know the code), you can make an offer on the blade.  I have gotten discounts (typically 5% or so) in such cases from Aoi in the past. 

1 hour ago, Surfson said:

Hi Nathan.  It's an interesting sword, and has much to like about it for collectors of shinshinto makers.  Sukenaga is arguably one of the two best of the Yokoyama Bizen school (there  is an Art and the Sword article about them I think).  The mounts are nice too.  The seppa are interesting thick ones, presumably in gold foil.  The tsuba looks like Umetada to me.  The mounts on the saya and tsuka appear to be en suite; it looks very black like shakudo on the saya, but the tsuka makes me think that they are all silver with some sort of black patina applied.  The activity on the sword is unusual for Sukenaga, including a "jewel" (I guess) near the kissaki, a long stretch of suguha, the typical Sukenaga choji/gonome, and what looks like a rendering of Fujisan.  As Tsuruta san, or his associates, describe the hamon:  "This blade is called Fujimi Saigyo which means Mt Fuji and other mountains and also Miho Matsubara(it is beautiful see side contrast of Matsu trees and seaside)The sentry from the view from the point(Miho Matsubara) Mt Fuji is excellent scenery.

If you were able to find the article in digital form and send me a like i would appreciate that very much. 

3 hours ago, Shugyosha said:

I think it’s this one. Those random tobiyaki put me off...

I would say it is not random but the Moon over the Sea.

Just some more about it that i found:

I like the blade and the style but dont know of pricing.

The condition is not perfect and i think i have seen better executed blades by sukenaga in the same style.

This is just what i can add and is maybe only my personal preference.

14 minutes ago, DoTanuki yokai said:

I would say it is not random but the Moon over the Sea.

Just some more about it that i found:

I like the blade and the style but dont know of pricing.

The condition is not perfect and i think i have seen better executed blades by sukenaga in the same style.

This is just what i can add and is maybe only my personal preference.

When you say the condition isn’t perfect, what are you referring to? My novice eye doesn’t see it. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is all reflected in the price.

With condition i mean about possible flaws like what is seen in the Bohi at the Kissaki (only visible on the scan).

It could be removed rust spots or ware or whatever and the overall condition of the Polish is not really appealing to me.

This is just my opinion and is only based on the pictures.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..