WWII Katana - Return to Rightful Owner

M04

My grandfather brought back a military katana from Japan during his time in the Pacific Theater during WWII.  I would like to identify the family of the rightful Japanese owners, but have no clue how to even get started.  Can anyone provide some guidance?  Many thanks!!

I thought similar but this is our western side of view on history. It would be the same you want to try to give a german family a ww2 dagger back. It is better to look on the swords as an art or relict of history without the story of a soldier behind who carried it. Thats my thoughts now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A noble sentiment but the realities of this action are extreme. Firstly you need the following on the sword:

-Surrender tag with name and original address of officer (and accurate translation)

-Definite provenance that the tag is original to the sword (and real)

-The family is still around and contactable (and even want it, as Stephen said)

-The sword is a type that could even be returned, many were made using non-traditional materials and methods which means they are not eligible for registration in Japan now.

Probably best to keep the sword in your family.

• Like 5

Mike, 

Stephen's comment was spot on and if it was obtained in Japan it wouldn't have any surrender tag (linen or wood).

Does it have any 'story' or any paperwork?

If not, then the only thing I could thing I could think of, and its a loooooooooooooooooooong shot, ( ok, I can hear some members chuckling now :rotfl:), is that if the blade was 'made for someone' or 'presented to someone' it may be shown in kanji on the tang.  I reckon the possibility of that happening is remote to say the least but if its not highlighted then you cant exclude it.

So as Stephen says, post a couple of clear pics of the sword, blade and both sides of the tang and this may add something to your question.....or not. 

We all like sword pics.:)

Rob 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey all, thank you again for this  very thoughtful feedback.  This is a great community you have here!

An image of the sword is attached.  I don’t have any tags or similar, unfortunately.  I don’t know much about care for it either, so any relevant links or guidance would be useful.

Thanks again!

C2D20A6D-B3EC-4C53-A26F-E63A8E4DF877.jpeg

Your going to get a lot of look under the handle request. Hold off until your comfortable with the process.

I don't know if it can be deciphered from the remaining transportation tag but that probably had all the information you'd want to send it back to owner, that doesn't mean they still live there.

For now keep a light coat of oil maybe sewing machine oil very light coat of it.

Delve into the frequently ask questions you'll find all kinds of information here just takes time no hurry.

Remember not to touch the blade with bare hands or acid and oils will leave it stained as you can see is now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

A picture of the nakago (tang) of the sword would be helpful in identifying if it is traditional or not. But as Stephen says, only remove the handle once you feel comfortable in doing so. Feel free to ask for guidance on doing so or perhaps seek someone near you to assist you in that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike,

Trust me, it's quite easy to remove the handle.  The small bamboo peg in the handle can be tapped out from the opposite side.  It is the only thing holding the handle and hand-guard on the tang.  Once you remove it, everything slides off.  Sometimes they are on tight, but usually  they slide off quite easily.  There is often a swordsmith name and/or date on the tang.  Yours is fitted in a wooden scabbard that originally had a leather cover.  Sometimes that means the blade was an older, ancestral blade; not always, but it could be.

I watched a YouTube video demonstration to learn how to properly remove the tsuka and expose the nakago/tang. Although I had read about it, watching the video gave me confidence. I had been intimidated by the prospect of removing the tsuka, but shortly after I began collecting, and having acquired a few swords, I knew that the time had come to start examining nakagos. Gunto nerds need this basic skill. Lol

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..