My Pitted 98... and why it will remain "as is"

Kolekt-To

Here's photos of one of the Type 98's in my collection (Kuniyoshi, 1945). This was one of the first swords I acquired when I began Gunto collecting earlier this year. I didn't know much then, and I probably would not have made the purchase today - who wants a sword with a pitted blade in their collection when you can find plenty with blades in much better shape? I paid less than $1000.00 for it, so I don't feel that bad about the buy (a beginner's mistake?), and the sword has grown on me over the months. And, I think the koshirae is really nice, as well. As we can see, the blade is extensively pitted. It's a shame that this sword was neglected over the years with the blade allowed to degrade. I've had it assessed and the pitting is so extensive that I've been told that it would take belt sanding to remove the pitting, and that's something I won't do. Sanding the blade to that extent would simply ruin it. It has historical value and, as mentioned, the koshirae is nice and in good condition - it displays well when the blade remains in the saya. Lol 

So, this one stays as is. Have any of you kept a less-than-desirable sword and/or chose not to mess with a messed-up blade?

Pitted 98_1.jpg

Pitted 98_2.jpg

Pitted 98_3.jpg

• Thanks 1

I appreciate your thoughts on this.  It's still a piece of history that "lived" through the biggest war mankind has ever seen.  Should be preserved.

Closest I have like that is my Type 32 Ko.  I didn't do the "cleaning", so it must have been cleaned up by a prior owner.  You can still see the pitting, though. I believe the course file marks are something done in the field.  There are several examples of that on NMB and a thread where someone pointed out a reg or something that showed it to be war-period filing.

IMG_1446.JPG

Ko Saya Throat.jpg

• Like 2

Bruno, it could very well be Gendaito. Seems that it might be a traditionally made blade. There are no seki or showa stamps on the tang, just smith name and date. The blade is heavy and appears well-made. If the blade wasn't so pitted, perhaps we would know for sure. I'm leaning toward Gendaito.

5 hours ago, Kolekt-To said:

Bruno, it could very well be Gendaito. Seems that it might be a traditionally made blade. There are no seki or showa stamps on the tang, just smith name and date. The blade is heavy and appears well-made. If the blade wasn't so pitted, perhaps we would know for sure. I'm leaning toward Gendaito.

Any photos of the nakago?

No nakago photos, currently. I've had it apart in recent months and had it examined by my mentor. He's of the opinion that it's probably a traditionally made blade. I'm not really concerned about it being Gendaito or Showato - I'm more focused on the blade's pitting and what, if anything, could be done about that. It's a sword that I debated whether or not to rid myself of, however, as explained, it's grown on me and I'll keep this Type 98 from Kuniyoshi in my collection. And, I won't be messing with the blade! Lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..