Help with RJT mei and date, Please

Bruce Pennington

Is it just me, or does that mei look freshly cut? Inside of the tagane should match the patina of the rest of the nakago.
I would be very suspicious of gimei/fakery here. Especially with the painted characters on the nakago, usually used on Showato. In fact, how did they paint kanji in black without getting any of the paint inside the mei kanji?
Easy enough to cut a RJT mei onto a Showato.
Just my 2c. What do others think?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vajo said:

The pictures of the blade in that auction are very bad. I can't see anything. I wonder that the mei is cut after the paintshop. Btw. i never saw a Star Stamp with that amount of paintings on the nakago. 

Well, I have a SEKI RJT smith sword with several paint marks on the nakago too (which is a good antirust btw).

Capture d’écran 2021-10-13 à 17.39.25.png

• Thanks 1

A couple of thoughts.

I have a lot of star-stamped blades with painted numbers, as of yet, none with quite as much painting as this one, but not unusual at all. 

Secondly, as I've been scouting through the files, I found this 1945 Kanetomo with painted numbers right across the mei.  You'll notice that the paint didn't get down into the mei cutting, so the painter's strokes were likely fast enough, or light-handed enough to not get down into the chisel grooves.

Since the one on topic is powdered it's hard to know if the paint as first or the kanji, but having now seen another example where the paint was not in the mei cuts, I don't think that would be a firm determinant.  The only real evidence would be if the powder were cleaned out and the mei cuts were obviously new. 

We face a lot of fakery in this hobby, so skepticism is never out of place.

0ABB9BA0-737E-43E6-884C-5D501726A221.thumb.jpeg.c308ef29fcab5c6ff724a4994853b231.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..