NBTHK Papered Nagasaki Cloisonne Kozuka with gold wire inlay depicting scattered snowflakes w moon on obverse

PhoenixDude

A very rare cloisonné kozuka depicting scattered snowflakes and a hazy moon on the obverse.

Shipo or cloisonné fittings are somewhat out of the norm and would be a fine addition to any collection.  This one is in excellent condition considering how fragile these fitting are.  They are basically glass on soft metal. The motif is executed masterfully using gold wire to outline very fine details, with the whole body being constructed of a base of silver with a shakudo onlay on the back.

1634 is the earliest time that pieces of cloisonne have been credited to the Edo Era. Before that time, many pieces were made, but the makers names are unknown, as was customary in those ancient times. The Shosoin treasury in Nara, has a mirror that is dated around 750 AD. There is little doubt that the art of shippo, was known, and used, in Japan in the 8th century.

Accompanied with NBTHK Hozon papers.

SOLD

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Thank you Kyle,

Jay, I only asked out of interest. Regardless of age it's honestly one of the better pieces I have ever seen:thumbsup: especially the purple (bordering on magenta), inlay is exceptionally beautiful to me, that and the snowflake design is one of my favorite themes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..