Shin Gunto from Estate Sale?

MKart64

Greetings everyone!

I recently found this item at an estate sale.  I wasn't sure about it, but took a chance.  My knowledge of Shin-Guntos prior was 0%, but the Saya, Tsuka and fittings all had an excellent weight and wonderful aging.  Some aging can be faked, but this seemed legit.  Also the estate sale had many high-end antiques and memorabilia.

I think these parts are authentic, but I'm not sure about the blade, and ask for your opinion on what you see.

No serial number on blade, only on Habaki, no Bo-Hi, no marking on Nakago. Not sure if Hamon is real, considering the Nakago looks like it was machine made.  The Mekugi broke when removing the Tsuka, and have been in there for a long time.  Also wood-lined Saya (wood has seen far better days).

sg00.JPG

sg01.JPG

sg02.JPG

sg03.JPG

sg04.JPG

sg05.JPG

sg06a.JPG

sg06b.JPG

sg06c.JPG

sg07.JPG

sg08.JPG

sg10.JPG

sg11.JPG

sg12.JPG

sg15.JPG

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! 

Yeah, I figured the blade is fake.  I mean, look at that square and unmarked Nakago.  Any thought on the mountings?  Maybe a fake blade in authentic Saya, Tsuka? 

Thankfully I didn't pay too much for it :)

Hi Elissa, sorry to see you've bought your initiation-fake into Military sword collecting!  I still have mine.  The fittings are fake too.  the only piece that looks like it COULD be legit is the kabutogane (the end cap of the handle).  The rest is clearly faked.  That lime-green, the acid-etched temper line, and numbers on the habaki are regular signs of fakery.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..