Second Nihonto On Its Way

I just got notified that my second Nihonto in in transit from Japan. It will hopefully be here by Thursday. It is another sunnobi tanto. Photos from Aoi Art are attached. When I have it in hand I will post some more pictures. This blade passed Hozon in June. 

0468F84E-5B3E-4007-9E90-748625C05BF5.jpeg

A55BC6F0-4DE0-4D12-AD5C-F606F980583F.jpeg

09555258-E16F-4FC4-976B-9A7E19F3540D.jpeg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Fuuten said:

Who does the Hozon paper state the smith is/attribution made to?

While I know that the blade passed Hozon, I have yet to actually see the paper. Apparently is was just issued on the weekend. It will be a surprise to me when I see it. 

So the attribution for this sword is Kanesaki (兼先).  Due to the tight Nioikuchi Gunome Midare and Jigane it is thought the blade is late Edo. So it looks older than it is at first glance. 

The blade length is 12.48 inches

The Sori is .03 inches

The width at the hamachi is 1.06 inches

At the kissaki it is .31 inches

The Kasane is .31 inches

The Jitetsu is well grained Ko Itami Hada  with Jinie attached

9 hours ago, Fuuten said:

Looks very nice. Now the search for a kogai begins!

A kogai and a kogatana. The saya has spaces for both. I have been looking. I need something that matches or compliments the theme of a horse on the tsuba or the buffalo on the menuki.

Dear Charles.

Nice sword and the moment of opening the package is always fun.  As it is papered to late Edo Kanesaki you might try looking at the Inshu Kanesaki lineage, they were making Mino den works at this time and the regular gunome might fit.

All the best.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..