Inherited sword

Robean

It looks like an older wakizashi that your grandfather, or someone, decided to clean improperly by 'cleaning' the nakago (the tang) and removed all what should have been black rust. This makes telling how old the blade is much more difficult and impacts its value as a whole, while allowing for newer harmful red rust to form. But judging from the crispness of the filemarks on the tang and the overall shape, I'd guess its no older than the mid-1700's. Value is going to be on the lower end due to condition. One nice thing is that the tsuba, although fairly plain, is signed, which is a big plus for that part!

Disregarding all that, as for care, the best thing you can do is lightly oil just the blade itself (Choji oil is traditional and works best), but any non-abrasive oil will work too. Don't touch the nakago with anything yet. I will let more knowledgeable folk instruct you on what else you can do with it in regards to care!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies & info.

I guess the sword was made the same time as the tsuba, does anyone know when Kōfu-jū Tsuneyuki was around? I'm struggling finding anything.

How/ what am i best cleaning it with? Someone said to neutralise the red rust? How should i go about this or is it best to be left?

Can anyone tell me what it's worth roughly? Not that I'm wanting to sell it but more so if it would be an idea to insure it.

Thanks 😊

On 11/16/2021 at 8:37 PM, Robean said:

I guess the sword was made the same time as the tsuba, does anyone know when Kōfu-jū Tsuneyuki was around? I'm struggling finding anything.

How/ what am I best cleaning it with? Someone said to neutralise the red rust? How should i go about this or is it best to be left?

Can anyone tell me what it's worth roughly? Not that I'm wanting to sell it but more so if it would be an idea to insure it.

Robean,

welcome to the NMB forum!

TSUBA are mounted depending on taste, era, and money, and have in most cases nothing to do with the blade's manufacturing date.  Your TSUBA is a HANDACHI type and might date from the 19th century. What could be said about TSUBA schools of that era is:

Several similarities and influences between many schools intertwined at the end of the Edo period....

Your blade is not in good shape and should be dealt with professionally to prevent damage. All you can do is clean it with non-hardening oil (I use camellia oil) and a cotton cloth. You may rub it, but please do nothing more that could attack the metal! Take care that no oil remains on the blade when you put it back in the SAYA (sheath). Moisture in any form is your enemy!

You can remove fresh red rust carefully with a toothpick-like tool made from wood, bone, antler, or ivory. 

Concerning the value, you will find WAKIZASHI like yours being offered for $ 300 - $ 700 in similar condition. 

Actually, an expert should have a close look at your blade. He might be able to see more of the inherent quality. There are so many points that you are unable to see and which do not show up in pictures. The blade could have been re-hardened (SAI-HA), just to name a point which influences greatly the value of an authentic blade. 

A professional restoration would surpass the actual value by about  4.000.-- (or more depending on who does the work and what is necessary). That is only my guess, but if you ask some of our respected expert dealers from NMB, they will be able to be more precise.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..