Japanese sword in ethnic dress

Kmad

Hi

Now here is a interesting item

A Japanese wakizashi  blade length of 62 mm with what looks like a satsuma rebellion wrap which has then been wrapped in sacking and cowrie shells.

From family history it mat have come from W Africa where some relatives served after WWII but some some of family who served in WWII.

Menuki is replaced by a nail but a good bit of the wrap is gone

Blade is terrible condition and not sure if removing the nail will reveal anything and also will it ruin the curiosity of the piece (or even if it tells anything is it worth doing) 

So what would the next steps, I think doing nothing except maybe soaking in oil to remove red rust but I like v ethnic items.

Anyone ever seen the like and what do you think owner should do, not mine but posting for a friend.

Regards

All

Ken 

k4.JPG

k5.JPG

k6.JPG

k1.JPG

k2.JPG

k3.JPG

k7.JPG

Now that's something you don't see everyday... Very interesting though! I'd be interested to see if there is anything on the tang if the nail was removed. If its signed and the signature is of someone of note, them you MIGHT have something worth pursuing having work done on.

I suppose it depends on if the nail is affixed in such a way that removing it would mean destroying it (which sounds like that is the case). Honestly, I would just gently oil the blade and leave it as is for the next owner, if nothing else. The red rust on the blade is actively eating the metal and should be dealt with immediately at the very least.

One more thing! You said 62mm(I assume you mean cm), if it is 62cm on the cutting edge, then that is a katana-length blade, which is a step-up in the eyes of most collectors in terms of value.

I can't help but wonder about the cowries overlaying the hilt ? They are somewhat fragile to begin with, then are only held to the sacking by thread, possibly but unlikely a glue as well so are they really meant to be on the hilt at all (which is where they are now) but just put there later by someone else ?

The native Dayak people of Borneo used cowrie shells just like these to sometimes decorate their items- but never their all purpose bush knives-headhunting parangs that I know of. And Borneo was invaded by the Japanese.

Roger j

• Like 1

Further to the use of cowrie shells like these for decoration-( just like these which have tops removed), I have seen used by Baluch carpet makers to adorn their woven salt bags, all purpose woven carrying bags etc. The Baluch live in the south of Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan (Baluchistan). No Japanese invasion in WW11 there. I presume other people use them too.

Roger j

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..