Not Haritoshi or Hariyasu but......

Cuirassier

Hi Guys

Even with my best meditation music, I can not resolve this one :(

I came up with Haritoshi or Hariyasu but know it can not be / is not either.

It is an unremarkable gunto blade (no stamps, no other markings) that has been field sharpened, so I am not holding my breath and praying for a pot of gold.

But the mei has stumped me, and it would be nice to know.
Thanks in anticipation

hari-toshi-yasu.jpg

Hello Geraint

It is a bit of a marriage / Frankenstein. The saya is later / plastic and too large. I presume the rest is period (WW2). There are some Gendaito characteristics maybe visible, just. But the blade is not in great condition and has some nicks to the cutting edge. No seki / showa stamps. Very small tang.

y08-0g.jpg

y08-0i.jpg

y08-3.jpg

y08-4.jpg

Edited by Cuirassier
added text

I think what Geraint was hinting at is that the sword itself is perhaps much older than WW2. Maybe several centuries older than WW2. 

And, is the scabbard really plastic? Are you sure its not lacquered wood (which has the same texture and sheen of plastic). 

Anyway, I'd suggest to set aside the fittings for a moment, and concentrate on the sword itself, as maybe 90% or more of the value of this ensemble will be in the blade itself, rather than in the hodgepodge of fittings. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..