Need Help Identifying Sword and Mounts

Yoshimichi

Dear NMB Members: 

I need help translating this mei, and identifying these mounts. My best guess is "Bishu Osafune Sukemitsu." It looks Koto, late 1400's- early 1500's. It has a 28" nagasa. Your take?

The mounts appear to be Army Cavalry, maybe special ordered to fit this ancestral blade. The guard is brass, but looks like a WWII cavalry steel guard. I am guessing an officer's special order sword mounts. Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

Wsword8.JPG

Wsword9.JPG

Wsword1.JPG

Wsword3.JPG

Wsword2.JPG

Wsword4.JPG

Wsword5.JPG

Wsword7.JPG

Wsword6.JPG

Wsword10.JPG

Wsword11.JPG

16 hours ago, Yoshimichi said:

....Jean:  Does it appear Koto or Shinto, and are you feeling it is Gimei, and why?....

Bill,

the NAKAGO looks absolutely KOTO to me. I am not able to make a comment on the blade as the photos are not sufficient. Concerning the MEI, there are so many SUKESADA that you have to compare with some authenticated ones to form an opinion, and I have no books on swords. On the other side, if a blade is really well made (which you will only see after restoration), I would not bother unless you plan to have it passed through SHINSA. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..